Here come my Fall Greens!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00522.jpg

Bok Choy from saved seed, then more Bok Choy, then more . . , then Choy Sum & Maruba Santoh! There's an outside row of lettuce starts along there, too.

That's half of what was the potato bed. The other half will be used as I thin/transplant all those little Asian greens!

:)

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look great! Do you freeze any of them, for use during the winter?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great! I still can't plant greesn, it's too darn hot! Thermometer said 110 F in the garden yesterday!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd imagine that in most parts of Texas, any of these could be a winter crop.

No, we don't freeze them usually. Don'tcha know; we sell them so that we can buy broccoli thru the winter ;).

They do last right into heavy frosts & being covered by snow. In fact, a few Bok Choy survive until spring every year but are so scarred by the cold that they usually die with the 1st warm weather of the new year :/.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

I wanted to add that Bok Choy (& maybe Choy Sum) are Brassica rapa.

That is the "turnip" family. Wikipedia tells me that this family also includes Chinese cabbage & komatsuna. I posted just the other day on Hoodat's thread where he tells us about only being able to start Asian greens in San Diego so far. I said that his greens are probably in this family. Turnips, I use University of Minnesota info (click), can really take the heat and sprout.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, in Texas we grow greens and broccoli, cauilflower, cabbage, collards, onions, and lettuce as winter crops. They do well until spring heat when they bolt and go to seed. We'll sell ya' sum broccoli! ;)

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve, I think you've inspired me to plant some sort of asian green next fall, we usually only plant kale.

Have you tried to make Kimchee with that bok choy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't, Bill. I like sauerkraut but it is one of those foods (like pickles) that I eat so little of, that making it probably isn't the best use of my time . . . he says, probably mostly because he has failed so badly at any kind of pickling . . .

But, let me ask you about the kale -- Do you sow the seed in late summer/fall and does it grow enough for that year's use? Do you do that for next year's crop? Or, are you talking about spring-sown kale for fall/winter use?

My Scotch kale is doing okay, altho' the leaves are taken from it regularly. I am very disinclined to allow this year's plants to overwinter so I haven't left or made use of my kale thru the winter in many, many years.

Steve

Latest posts