Here come my Fall Greens!

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve, The Maruba Santoh looks interesting, my wife doesn't generally like mustard greens but I might want to try that. What kind of temperatures, etc will that tolerate?

We've had the best summer/early fall weather I can remember. Downright eerie, it's nearly 10pm and the temp outside is 72 degrees!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Looks great! I still can't plant greesn, it's too darn hot! Thermometer said 110 F in the garden yesterday!
I'm having the same problem here in San Diego but it isn't that extreme. Normally I'd be eating greens by now but 90s keeps the soil too warm for Fall and Winter crop seeds to germinate. When it finally cools off I'll probably have greens coming up where I forgot I planted the seed. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
plainolebill said:
. . .What kind of temperatures, etc will that tolerate?

We've had the best summer/early fall weather I can remember. Downright eerie, it's nearly 10pm and the temp outside is 72 degrees!
Bill, the Maruba Santoh is something of a slow grower. I learned that the only other time I sowed seeds for it in the fall. It made insufficient growth for any use. So, this looks like the first time I will learn how it does. I've grown the bok choy successfully many times in the fall.

Maruba Santoh has been in my garden for about 5 years as a spring green, however. By the way, last year I tried Beka Santoh. I am sorry, that performed just exactly the same and looked the same as the Fun Jen I've grown for a few years. I grew them side by side. Honestly, I think they are identical and traveling under different names. Fun Jen looks like it might be mild and it is certainly tender. However, it has quite a bit of that mustardy tang. That's okay. I like those flavores well enuf.

The last fall with the Maruba Santoh, I also learned of the limits of lettuce sown late. It had the least growth. So, it was important to me to just set the lettuce plants out as starts. Seed must have been sown in containers in late July here in a shady location in the backyard. Mid-August they were ready to set out and the seed for the Asian green sown in the open garden. If the frosts we will have this week aren't real severe, I should benefit from all :). except that Choy Sum . . .

Yes, it is very warm this morning but the wind is supposed to blow that all away by this time tomorrow . . .

Steve

cmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Getting ready to plant our winter crops such as peas, broccoli, celery, lettuce and others.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huh, huh?

:p

DSC00575.JPG

Should have tossed my knife in there for scale . . . They are small but about 1 serving each. This tender Shanghai bok choy has withstood 4 frosts and, since the weather should warm slightly after yet 1 more frost, will still be out there for weeks & weeks.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look yummy! And they look so cute too! You sound like quite the expert on Asian greens. I have never tried them........maybe I should. I did plant mustard greens last Friday. They are just coming up, but I noticed in the last bed, the neighborhood feral cats have designated that as their toilet. :rant I hate those cats! :tools This smiley is me with a pitchfork to stab them with and a shovel to bury them. :tongue

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They just work well for me, Bay'!

I don't have the chance to grow them thru the winter but I bet they'd do okay in a Florida or east Texas garden during the winter. They do well for me in what is usually a cool, cloudy spring . . . and then, I can get this last go-around in the fall.

The seed starts in the summer heat but it has to cool off not all that long after they emerge. Otherwise, they will bolt to seed - just as that darn Choy Sum did :rolleyes:. The bok choy can't take terrible cold without becoming tough. The same is true in the spring if I set out plants real early. Sowing seed early and having them face weeks of nasty weather just encourages that bolting, too.

In the plastic tunnel they will usually do fine real early. I bet they'd appreciate having a tunnel set up over them now but I'm not going to do it. A tunnel would need daily attention and I'm not in that garden often enuf.

The larger varieties of bok choy would probably need more weeks of the right kind of weather. I don't much care - the larger varieties don't really appeal to me, anyway ;).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They look delicious! :drool

I harvested some mustard greens yesterday and was really surprised that DH & DD loved them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, please fill me in on winter greens and which ones you do save seed from. How you do it as well. I'm a novice on this. Ready to learn.

Latest posts