Hertitage raspberry

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Should i prune my hertitage raspberry, the canes that it has now is growing but these canes have producded berries last summer, i believe that your suppose to remove canes that fruited already, right? Just wanted to make sure.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Should i prune my hertitage raspberry, the canes that it has now is growing but these canes have producded berries last summer, i believe that your suppose to remove canes that fruited already, right? Just wanted to make sure.
Remove any dead canes BELOW ground level if possible to discourage disease. Then trim the tips on any canes that are growing to about 36". During the season you can trim the tips of the growing canes to encourage lateral growth.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
Greenthumb18 said:
Remove any dead canes BELOW ground level if possible to discourage disease. Then trim the tips on any canes that are growing to about 36". During the season you can trim the tips of the growing canes to encourage lateral growth.
Oh ok i will take out any dead canes if i see any. And i will cut the canes so they will stand 3 ft tall. So more berries will be produced this year on canes that have produced last year, right?

Thanks!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The heritage red raspberry will produce 2 crops if you don't cut the canes. They produce about 90% in the fall and another 10% the next year, not sure of the exact time. However, it is recommended to cut the canes and only go for the fall harvest as the fall harvest is quite a bit bigger this way.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
how does this compare to a wild raspberry?

VT Chicklit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I cut my heratige raspberries down to within 1 - 2 inches of the ground each year, in the month of March (right after the snow disapears but the ground is still frozen). I then fertalize them in the beginning of May with a fertalizer I purchase from Gurneys specifically for rasperries.

The reason I cut my raspberries back in March is because I do not want the first crop of berries to be produced in June/July. We have alot of cow birds here that would decimate the crop and I have never had luck wit netting. By cutting back the canes to an inch or two above the mulch, I will only get one crop of berries which I get in the middle to end of September. The cow birds are gone by then and this crop is bigger than it would be if it was the second crop off these canes.

This method was recomended to me by someone that owns a berry farm that sells berries and "pick your own" to the public. She does this to her own crop and has beautiful berries. Since I started doing this about 5 years ago, I get gallons and gallons of berries from my small row of berries each year.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I ASSUMED these were black raspberries. We all know what ASSUMING makes ME! lol
The part about pruning below ground level still applies. We did brambles in class last week and pruning lower leaves less chance for blight to infect the canes.
There are several different ways to prune but basically you want to keep them thinned out to allow good air flow.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Would this pruning apply also to Blackberries?

:happy_flower Karan :D
Blackberries form on the second season of the canes. Yes, there are some exceptions, like the Stark Prime Jim and Prime Jan which will bear some fruit on first year canes, but even then, the big production comes on year old canes.

You prune blackberries by taking out the old canes after they have born the berries. You do not prune new canes that have not born fruit except to keep the blackberries tamed into their area or to give better air flow if they become too thick.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
karanleaf said:
Would this pruning apply also to Blackberries?

:happy_flower Karan :D
Blackberries form on the second season of the canes. Yes, there are some exceptions, like the Stark Prime Jim and Prime Jan which will bear some fruit on first year canes, but even then, the big production comes on year old canes.

You prune blackberries by taking out the old canes after they have born the berries. You do not prune new canes that have not born fruit except to keep the blackberries tamed into their area or to give better air flow if they become too thick.
You can "tip" them like raspberries to create lateral growth.

Latest posts