FATE IS KIND, SHE BRINGS TO THOSE WHO LOVE
THE SWEET FULFILLMENT OF THEIR SECRET LONGING

LIKE A BOLT OUT OF THE BLUE
FATE STEPS IN AND PULLS YOU THROUGH
WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its been a busy day I guess for everyone!

Its honestly beautiful out and we've been out ripping out canna lilies... (through a few bulbs in the pond to see what happens). We also split some tulip bulbs and transplanted them to a new bed. Its been a couple hours work, that's all, but it was the most perfect fall day and I didn't need a jacket.

I need to go photo the transplant of the honey suckle vine... maybe that will be something interesting to look at.

I do need to goto the gym in a couple hours for yoga and my cycling, but if I don't post before I go, I will post when I get back.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Its drizzly 40's here. I took the opportunity to do indoor stuff, like some custom sewing that is long over due for a friend. Now her little girls will have cute matching dresses, and I will be very popular!!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey thats cool, I was just bored!

I do have a great idea how about you cycle to the gym to do yoga?
Just think of all that fresh air. And you save time, I think.

Just joking, I am bored!
Oh your seeds are in route!

Joe

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Hey thats cool, I was just bored!

I do have a great idea how about you cycle to the gym to do yoga?
Just think of all that fresh air. And you save time, I think.

Just joking, I am bored!
Oh your seeds are in route!

Joe
I would I guess, but dear daughter has no spot on my bike (which needs new tires and chain anyways), and she needs to go to Daycare so I can. That was a really good idea!

What a fun day here though....

Besides planting and moving bulbs, the horses were out at pasture and the pasture ends at the end of the cul-de-sac right across from the front of our house. So I took daughter to walk down and see the horses and they let her pet them. They are rarely that far out in the pasture we can see them from the front porch and go walk up and touch them. It definitely made her day.

I like today... so its a gooooooooooooooooood tuesday!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
vfem, you sound like my neighbors, who come by and visit my horses. :hugs
Had new fencing installed in Feb., 2008. Every time I run into a neighbor they tell me "About time--LLLOOOOVVVEEE the new fencing." Guess I picked well!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nearly 6 hours of digging, transporting, washing, storing dahlia roots - that's all! Did the same, yesterday . . .

Almost 1,500 square feet of dahlias and there was frost in the ground and ice at the bottom of their hollow stems . . . Next will be selecting good tubers, putting them in peat moss, and hauling them down to the basement for the winter. It's like bring in the cows from the high pastures!

People complain about a half-dozen plants and the need to dig and store them for winter. Heck's fire, ain't nothin'!

Steve

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Nearly 6 hours of digging, transporting, washing, storing dahlia roots - that's all! Did the same, yesterday . . .

Almost 1,500 square feet of dahlias and there was frost in the ground and ice at the bottom of their hollow stems . . . Next will be selecting good tubers, putting them in peat moss, and hauling them down to the basement for the winter. It's like bring in the cows from the high pastures!

People complain about a half-dozen plants and the need to dig and store them for winter. Heck's fire, ain't nothin'!

Steve
Yikes brother. That sure is a lot of work!
I was busy today also, but not nearly that busy.

Well it must fell good to have got that part out of the way.

Joe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
. . . Well it must fell good to have got that part out of the way.

Joe
It does, Joe. I was starting to worry about the darn things. The weather turned cold so fast and by the time I could get to the dahlia roots, it was already warming back towards normal . . . normal!?

Oh Florida! Sometimes I wish . . .

There was a moment this morning about 3 or 4 hours before it began to rain, when the wind was particularly strong, and it was still fairly frigid, when a few snow flakes danced about with the fallen leaves. I could still remember the warmth of, what was it, just a few days ago when the red in the thermometer was pressed up against the 90 mark.

There's a bird hereabouts that actually migrates higher into the mountains during the winter. It usually goes by the name of Spruce Grouse.

During the summer it comes down the slopes into the fir and hemlock but when the snow begins to fall, this bird heads uphill. It moves into the spruce just below the timberline where it lives on the buds thru the winter months.

There's another name for this bird. It's called a Fool Hen.

Steve

Latest posts