Hey everybody!

Jesus Freak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, so straight manure would probably not be a good idea...I guess I'll just do a mix of mostly dirt...
@baymule ! There's a name I know! :D ((hi))

So, we have a bunch of old rubermade totes that we stored salted deer hides in. They have a bunch of small drain holes in the bottom. I think I'll use those and do what @valley ranch did with the fridge. I'll be sure to wash 'm to get all the salt out...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow

We've talked a lot about experimental potato growing methods on here, so lots of info to search in the archives.

Best potatoes I ever grew were in a raised bed. I'm in WV too, so I take it you are also dealing with lots of rain and red clay mud? Been really hard to get them in around St. Patty's day the past few years. That was always when my dad planted his.

Jesus Freak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow

We've talked a lot about experimental potato growing methods on here, so lots of info to search in the archives.

Best potatoes I ever grew were in a raised bed. I'm in WV too, so I take it you are also dealing with lots of rain and red clay mud? Been really hard to get them in around St. Patty's day the past few years. That was always when my dad planted his.
Thanks

Awesome! I'm seeing that! :)

No actually, not a lot of that 'round here...I'm norther...(I don't think that's actually a word:hide) Creeks are high because of melting snow though!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Have you considered growing potatoes in a paint bucket?
upload_2017-2-26_12-35-28.png

Jesus Freak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@ducks4you I have no shortage of containers...I'm just trying to find what would be best. It sounds like potatoes grow up-ish so I'm thinking like a Rubermade tote with several inches of dirt. Then put potatoes a few inches down in. I keep adding dirt around the sprouts keeping it growing higher...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you I have no shortage of containers...I'm just trying to find what would be best. It sounds like potatoes grow up-ish so I'm thinking like a Rubermade tote with several inches of dirt. Then put potatoes a few inches down in. I keep adding dirt around the sprouts keeping it growing higher...
You have the right idea. :) Good luck