Hey Ridgerunner, About that chicken broth...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee Bob, after that rosy description, I am reluctant to go take a shower. :\ Instead of the delicious water :drool from the community water company's 1200 foot deep well 150 yards up the road, it could be filled with contaminants. :( I could very well turn on the shower and set loose a stream of sulfuric acid. I can't dance naked :celebrate out in the rain either, pollution is in the rain. I'd better not go barefoot as I might step in a tire track full of rubber termites :mad: with a hankering for human flesh. I may never go outside again as the bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, (no) cats, (no) cattle, sheep, (in the freezer) pigs, etc (you forgot the horses) bringing pathogens on my land and giving me infections, :duc bacteria, virus, boils, dandruff, :tongue pimples, bad breath, :th ingrown toenails, toenail fungus, cavities in my teeth, cancer of the common sense, blindness, arthritis, :somad shingles, :barnie TV election coverage overload, and :olddementia. So I can't eat, I can't drink, I can't go outside....that means I'm stuck inside with paint fumes, sheetrock (imported from China) outgassing fumes, :ep central air and heat sucking fresh air from outside....it's a conspiracy to kill me. :lol:

guess I'll just go drink some chicken broth....
:yuckyuck You crack me uo :lol:

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just look at it as the stuff that the rain washes out of the air that we call pollutants the plants call nutrients. Have you noticed how much better plants grow after a rain as opposed to after we water them?

I have some Silverado Sage planted along the front of the house. They only bloom after it rains. I can water them with well water, and they don't bloom. I also have a Chinese Lantern bush. I can water it and it looks good, with a couple of blooms. After it rains, the leaves turn a dark green and flowers bloom out all over it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are so many things that can go wrong on one's land that we just don't know or be aware about. You see anything can be blown in onto your land by the wind. What about a clout that drops a few raindrops onto you land that could carry contaminants ? What about draining storm water from lands uphill/ upgrade from yours even miles away ? What about bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, pigs, etc bringing pathogens onto your lands ? What about chemicals or pathogens hitching a ride on your car tires, clothes, shoes , etc. from you or your visitors from work, church, school, friends, hardware , feed stores, etc. properties ? So your own produced food is running very similar risks as any commercially produced food. We just can't know for sure. :hu

Sure we can. Not everyone lives where they do commercial agriculture, so the probability of anything "blowing onto our land" is about nil...no one farming around here anymore, nor even gardening, nor are they interested in perfect lawns...we're lucky if they even mow their lawns, but it doesn't really matter because they are half a mile away or more.

I'd say the percentage of carcinogens and contaminants go WAY down when gathering food of my own land as opposed to eating what is grown commercially~THAT stuff holds no doubt as to what has contaminated it, we read about it in the news all the time.

Gee Bob, after that rosy description, I am reluctant to go take a shower. :\ Instead of the delicious water :drool from the community water company's 1200 foot deep well 150 yards up the road, it could be filled with contaminants. :( I could very well turn on the shower and set loose a stream of sulfuric acid. I can't dance naked :celebrate out in the rain either, pollution is in the rain. I'd better not go barefoot as I might step in a tire track full of rubber termites :mad: with a hankering for human flesh. I may never go outside again as the bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, (no) cats, (no) cattle, sheep, (in the freezer) pigs, etc (you forgot the horses) bringing pathogens on my land and giving me infections, :duc bacteria, virus, boils, dandruff, :tongue pimples, bad breath, :th ingrown toenails, toenail fungus, cavities in my teeth, cancer of the common sense, blindness, arthritis, :somad shingles, :barnie TV election coverage overload, and :olddementia. So I can't eat, I can't drink, I can't go outside....that means I'm stuck inside with paint fumes, sheetrock (imported from China) outgassing fumes, :ep central air and heat sucking fresh air from outside....it's a conspiracy to kill me. :lol:

guess I'll just go drink some chicken broth....

Amen, sister! :lol:

YUP ... do you remember the National News reports a few years ago where they were reporting almost daily of the "acid rain " from the Mid West that was killing the forest trees in the Eastern States ? Scary huh ? Read some of the reports written by the Environment Protection Agency as a bedtime story and you will have nightmares. So how really pure and safe are our home garden produce or home grown meats ? :idunno

Whatever the level of safety, I know it's better than commercially grown...crop dusted with herbicides, pesticides, and whoever knows what other "cides". :rolleyes: No use of 'cides around these parts. If we get it in the rain somehow, well, not much we can do about that but the it's still better than those poor things grown commercially...they are being fed the stuff. :sick

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
On a chicken broth note...I don't cook mine for 3 days. I figure if it ain't cooked out of the bone and meat in a day's time, it ain't comin' out. ;) I have used spices and veggies before but found them to be lifeless and needing of straining out at the end, so now take a shortcut and save myself some time....Orrington Farms makes a great all natural broth base powder using the exact spices I would use anyway, so I use a dab of that for spices/veggie flavoring.

Chill in the fridge, scoop off the rendered fat and freeze flat in a ziploc...break off a piece of it when I want to use it in recipes. The rest gets canned up...I'm not too particular about any residue of fat left on the broth as it just adds umami to the recipe. I only use my own birds grown here for broth or deer harvested here on the land....as I'm quite confident whatever it contains is most decidedly better than commercially grown birds and beef. ;)

Look at how this heavy big serving spoon stands up in the jelly of this stock...just lovely! It's like chicken jello!

100_5212.jpg

Before I've skimmed the fat...

100_5211.jpg

Ready for the freezer....

100_5188.jpg

Chicken Jello...getting ready to be canned...simply beautiful and like nothing to be found in the store.

100_5215.jpg

Latest posts