Hey Ridgerunner, About that chicken broth...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point about heating house. I guess I asked because country house has electric stove and propane for furnace and fireplace. During winter my propane bill is about $375 every 3 weeks. Most of the time I am not there heat set 58 degrees.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point about heating house. I guess I asked because country house has electric stove and propane for furnace and fireplace. During winter my propane bill is about $375 every 3 weeks. Most of the time I am not there heat set 58 degrees.
Think about ADDING insulation in the ceiling as well as under the floor, the exterior walls if you can. For our 3039 sq. ft. ranch house that I built myself, I used the passive solar method with R 60 in the ceiling , R30 in the exterior walls and floor. I sealed all air leaks with gaskets for doors, windows, electrical switches/outlets, exhaust fans, etc. Our range is propane, and thermostat was set at 68* and our monthly propane bill for the month in the coldest months of the year ( varies from 17* to 30* ) was a whopping $ 103 / mo. For the hotest months of the year ( daily range 100* to 115* our electric air onditioning bill averaged $ 350 / mo. while the neighbors $ 600- $850/ mo ).

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you just shut off the heat and drain the pipes when you leave your weekend home?

mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary and @Smart Red it is my understanding @Nyboy goes there every weekend even in the winter. So draining pipes each week would be a LOT of work as would moving oil paintings each week. Oops I see the reference on the paintings was IF he left ALL winter.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary and @Smart Red it is my understanding @Nyboy goes there every weekend even in the winter. So draining pipes each week would be a LOT of work as would moving oil paintings each week. Oops I see the reference on the paintings was IF he left ALL winter.
Hmmm...my husband shuts down our cabin and drains the pipe each time we're there. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for him.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are so many things that can go wrong on one's land that we just don't know or be aware about. You see anything can be blown in onto your land by the wind. What about a clout that drops a few raindrops onto you land that could carry contaminants ? What about draining storm water from lands uphill/ upgrade from yours even miles away ? What about bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, pigs, etc bringing pathogens onto your lands ? What about chemicals or pathogens hitching a ride on your car tires, clothes, shoes , etc. from you or your visitors from work, church, school, friends, hardware , feed stores, etc. properties ? So your own produced food is running very similar risks as any commercially produced food. We just can't know for sure. :hu

Gee Bob, after that rosy description, I am reluctant to go take a shower. :\ Instead of the delicious water :drool from the community water company's 1200 foot deep well 150 yards up the road, it could be filled with contaminants. :( I could very well turn on the shower and set loose a stream of sulfuric acid. I can't dance naked :celebrate out in the rain either, pollution is in the rain. I'd better not go barefoot as I might step in a tire track full of rubber termites :mad: with a hankering for human flesh. I may never go outside again as the bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, (no) cats, (no) cattle, sheep, (in the freezer) pigs, etc (you forgot the horses) bringing pathogens on my land and giving me infections, :duc bacteria, virus, boils, dandruff, :tongue pimples, bad breath, :th ingrown toenails, toenail fungus, cavities in my teeth, cancer of the common sense, blindness, arthritis, :somad shingles, :barnie TV election coverage overload, and :olddementia. So I can't eat, I can't drink, I can't go outside....that means I'm stuck inside with paint fumes, sheetrock (imported from China) outgassing fumes, :ep central air and heat sucking fresh air from outside....it's a conspiracy to kill me. :lol:

guess I'll just go drink some chicken broth....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee Bob, after that rosy description, I am reluctant to go take a shower. :\ Instead of the delicious water :drool from the community water company's 1200 foot deep well 150 yards up the road, it could be filled with contaminants. :( I could very well turn on the shower and set loose a stream of sulfuric acid. I can't dance naked :celebrate out in the rain either, pollution is in the rain. I'd better not go barefoot as I might step in a tire track full of rubber termites :mad: with a hankering for human flesh. I may never go outside again as the bugs, birds, rats, mice, wildlife, dogs, (no) cats, (no) cattle, sheep, (in the freezer) pigs, etc (you forgot the horses) bringing pathogens on my land and giving me infections, :duc bacteria, virus, boils, dandruff, :tongue pimples, bad breath, :th ingrown toenails, toenail fungus, cavities in my teeth, cancer of the common sense, blindness, arthritis, :somad shingles, :barnie TV election coverage overload, and :olddementia. So I can't eat, I can't drink, I can't go outside....that means I'm stuck inside with paint fumes, sheetrock (imported from China) outgassing fumes, :ep central air and heat sucking fresh air from outside....it's a conspiracy to kill me. :lol:

guess I'll just go drink some chicken broth....
YUP ... do you remember the National News reports a few years ago where they were reporting almost daily of the "acid rain " from the Mid West that was killing the forest trees in the Eastern States ? Scary huh ? Read some of the reports written by the Environment Protection Agency as a bedtime story and you will have nightmares. So how really pure and safe are our home garden produce or home grown meats ? :idunno

Latest posts