Hey RidgeRunner

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you found anything on a churka, an ancient cotton gin used in India? I just saw one on the Science Channel, on "What The Ancients Knew". On google, found this: http://ogimages.bl.uk/images/019/019PHO001000S52U04892000[SVC1].jpg

You might use this as a lead to better instructions or a good drawing.

Bummer, I got a 404 when I clicked on it. Try googling "Churka, ancient cotton gin", and maybe you will get it to come up.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, but

The Churka works for the smooth seed cotton, where the fibers are loosely attached to the seed hull. I cant grow that type of cotton in my climate, too cold. The only type of cotton I can grow is the kind that the fiber tightly bonds to the seed.

I really do appreciate your efforts and the suggestion but what I did would work fine with the smooth seeded cotton.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is what I did for my latest attempt at a cotton gin. I used 1/16 diameter coat hanger wire on centers to make this. Then I put two rows of wood screws to keep the seeds centered. Then use a wire brush called a flick carder to drag over the cotton boll. Its got stiff fine wires bent to grab hold.

6180_cotton_gin.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife doesn't think so but I think it works reasonably well. It take some work to brush it enough to get most of the fibers but it leaves some shorter ones on the seed, probably longer ones breaking off. That's why I quit working on it, I just can't see any way of getting it any better unless I work up something with a motor and wheel.

Latest posts