Hey Ron, check it out...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK,

All done reading the site. It is never as complicated as they make it; besides she described how I care for all my plants!

LOL, I always put it together...then read the instructions!

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Hi,

Very nice, the Brugmansia is considered a "heavy feeder", so this winter be sure and surround the base with plenty of compost; especially compost with manure in it.

Sometimes I will do a bucket full of compost and fresh chicken poop and let this form a tea. Then I give them a mid-summer snack.

Yeah...saving the wood parts from a freeze and sticking them in vases of water and you will have a ton of new starts; the only problem is space! Where to put all those Brug babies over winter, because they all want to continue to grow. LOL

The Brugmansia naturally will wilt as a defense against the extreme heat. It is never an indicator of needing water. This is how they are. I remember my first few seasons with them. At first I thought they were dying of thirst, but then I found out they do this big wilting thing anyways every day during the hottest times. You just have to ignore it. It is hard to explain to someone that has not witnessed it, the wilt looks dreadful; and any other plant I would be screaming "water this plant" LOL :ep

Ron
When I was using it to indicate needing water I would see it wilted mid morning to mid afternoon but it would always perk back up once the temps dropped but if it was still droopy first thing in the morning when I would go out to do chores (whereas normally it would be all perky and stuff) then I would put the sprinkler on the bed it's in.

Now, about the compost tea - I have some REALLY icky soupy goat poo in a plastic tub (it rained before I could put in the onion bed). Do you think the Brug would like some?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ewww,

Don't blame me if you kill it LOL That sounds nasty and a bit strong....perhaps if you dip a bit out and dilute it.

With my tea I barely have a shelve's worth of chicken poo as I am cleaning, so along with my compost to make my tea doesn't amount to much; ...but your mixture sounds god awful deadly LOL

What is that smell?

LOL

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Ewww,

Don't blame me if you kill it LOL That sounds nasty and a bit strong....perhaps if you dip a bit out and dilute it.

With my tea I barely have a shelve's worth of chicken poo as I am cleaning, so along with my compost to make my tea doesn't amount to much; ...but your mixture sounds god awful deadly LOL

What is that smell?

LOL

Ron
That does sound very strong.
I have a friend that is a bit clueless about plants.
I told him to feed some of the trees and shrubs. I guess I should have went over it a little more with him.

He took scoops of fert. and dumped it around the base of them. needless to say he burned them. He don't feel the need to read the directions on the box. He is fun to have around doing cement work too. You have to watch him around the mixer, he just loves to make soup.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, you got the "ripe" part right! This came from a friend of ours that has a barn/pen just for his 30+ billy goats. This came from inside the billy barn :sick The nice thing about goat poo is it is not "hot" like chicken poo. As a matter of fact you can put it right from the goat's butt to around the base of your roses and they will love you forever. But, this plastic tub of soupy goat poo definitely has a life all it's own and it's so rank neither Roger or I want to actually undertake the chore of trying to move it to the onion bed :sick :sick :sick

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I say no one knows the poo like the one carrying it!

LOL

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, this is what the bloom is looking like today. The wind was blowing so this was about as good of pics as I could get. Notice all the up-and-coming blooms in the 2nd pic?

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is going to be great with all them flowers.
Just be sure none of your pets eat any of the flowers.
Kids around here were killing themselves trying to get High off them.
Causing heart failure!

Not to scare you just a word of warning!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No no no, Joe!!!

You are talking about Datura or Jimsonweed, not Brugmansia.

They are in the same family, distantly, but the menace with the bad rap is the Devil's Trumpet, not the Angel's Trumpet.

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
No no no, Joe!!!

You are talking about Datura or Jimsonweed, not Brugmansia.

They are in the same family, distantly, but the menace with the bad rap is the Devil's Trumpet, not the Angel's Trumpet.

Ron
Oh ok I have always was told the were Angel's Trumpet. The Datura looks the same to me, how do you tell them apart?