Hey, what is that kind of grass...

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That when you cut it, and it rains the next day,

a day or two later, it has these foot tall stems sticking up that have a Y of seeds and black fuzzy seedlets on them?

I'm just curious. Cause that is mostly what my yard is made of apparently. :rolleyes:

Cassandra

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bahia. pronounced Buh-HAY-uh. my yard is mostly bahia too. cows love it, the lawnmower--not so much.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beefy, I was just wondering if you know the origin of that word?

I'm always curious when it comes to words, origins etc. Since I know of Bahia (not a plant.) pronounced: Bah-hee-uh, then their origins must be different.

Just wondered if you knew! :D

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for that, too, beefy. It does seem to be pretty sturdy. We drive over it occassionally when we need to and it bounces back real well. I did some research on it when I found the name and it says it is commonly fodder. My guinea pigs love it. When it is tall, I tear off a few stems and feed to them.

Cassandra

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i dont know the origins. probably just a southern mispronunciation that stuck! most people around here call it Buh-HAIR or buh-hay-ur lol.

i love bahia grass. cows love it. grows fast. bounces back after drought. reseeds itself. comes out early in the spring. grows late. its a weed in bermuda hay fields though.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, okay, thanks, that could be. A lot of places have local pronounciations of various things. :)

Latest posts