Hey Y'all! from South Carolina

Stormimay

Sprout
Reaction score
In October I moved to one and a half acres in the upstate of South Carolina, the first time I've had any land to play with. I've got a tiny garden, a bizarre combination of some permaculture ideas and containers, about 2 feet wide and 5 feet long. It is mostly squash and tomatoes, mostly squash. Those are the sprouts that survived my kids knocking them all over. I also have some radishes, sunflowers, lettuces, peppermint, and cilantro, and a fair amount of marigolds. I planted 3 apple trees this year but one has mysteriously died and the other has rust. I also planted two paw paw trees that were doing well till someone tethered the goat too close to one...I'm not sure if it can actually survive having no leaves all year. :(
Animal-wise we currently have one dog, three cats (two outside one in and out), a goat, 2 angora bunnies, 9 guinea keets, and 48 chicken eggs incubating, as well as 5 ameraucana chicks I am picking up Wednesday.
I suppose I should mention that I also have a husband and nine children, one under the apple tree in the front yard. All of this is new to us, the animals and the garden and we are completely clueless. The backyardchickens site has helped so much with the egg hatching and keets, so I am glad to find this place for my vegetables!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! You will feel right at home here. Lots of friendly folks and we love to help other gardeners. No problem is too big for TEG! You will love growing your own fresh vegetables. Once you get the hang of it, you will have LOTS of veggies, then you start learning how to preserve your produce. Canning, dehydrating, pickling, freezing and fruit cellar...... this stuff is addicting, not to mention what you can $ave on the grocery bill!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. I hope you meant that one of your 9 children is playing under the apple tree in the front yard, not that you gave birth under the apple tree, or, that it is planted under the apple tree.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome and glad you joined us. You seem to be very busy. With all that land you can have a really nice garden but you need to start small. Get your feet wet first and then you can expand next year.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @Stormimay. I am pleased that you have joined The Easy Gardener. It is THE best place on the website for all types of gardening questions, help, incentive, and just plain fun. Of course, with nine children you probably have all the fun you can handle. Glad to have you growing with us.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome @Stormimay WOW 9 children :ep I love children but was often worn out with TWO! The garden will be great for everyone. Remember there are no questions to silly to ask. We all had to start someplace, sure glad you found TEG. :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_welcome4.gif

As others have said, this is a GREAT place to hang out and there is ALWAYS someone who can answer your questions, or offer suggestions, or just listen to you rant.
Glad you found us. Have you checked into the other 'sister' sites?

Latest posts