Hi from a Newbie

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
How lucky that I just discovered this site! My name is Svenja, I am in my late 20's and live in the Lowcountry of SC (which is zone 8 if I am not mistaken).
My husband and I were out in the yard today, taking apart last year's attempt at a garden. We actually managed to get a whole bunch of cucumbers, some green tomatoes and a LOAD of eggplant as well as a few peppers last year. Our garden was way too crowded, and I definitely planted first, then researched later, which was a mistake.
This year, we are dedicating a much larger space ( about 4x the size) to our garden, and we're armed with a bit more knowledge. We have been composting all year and have a great heap to till into the garden next weekend. We are putting up a fence to keep out the dogs (we have three) and I will be purchasing plants/starting seedlings (if I dare - last year I didn't fare so well!) as well. Right now I'm just hoping the weather plays along.
Even though we didn't have a huge variety of veggies last year, the eggplant and cucumbers alone saved us so much money in produce. I can't wait to get started.
Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and can't wait to share my progress and read about everyone else's!
Happy digging to those of you in areas warm enough to get started!

Svenja :D

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome :watering
Nice to "see" a new face. lol
It's amazing how much money you can save with just a small garden and the quality is sooooo much better. I can hardly stand to but grocry store produce any more. :(

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome Svenja

Nice name.....

I used to live in Sumter.....

Nothing beats the quality of home grown....but, selection wise...
If you just look at the heirloom varieties...and see the different colors, sizes...

Looking at the seed catalogues..im like a kid in a candy store...

I want.... I want... I want..... lol...

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice welcome! I remember growing up eating my grandparents' homegrown produce, especially the beans. There's nothing like it!

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:welcome

We are tilling & planting this weekend as it is in the 80's all of a sudden this past week. Last yr my zuchinni did so well I did not buy any potatoes all summer long we just used the zukes instead. Nothing beats the flavor of home grown. I really try to grow mothing but heirloom as i think they taste better. HAve a great time tilling.

mmtillman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:welcome:tools from MO. Glad to see more newbies here ....I dont feel so alone!! :D
LOoking forward to hearing all you garden success this year!!! Mary Ann :frow

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

I wish you better luck this year. We're starting out our first garden this year. Last year we did pot gardening on the deck and I was just so over come with how yummy the few things we had were, I just needed to expand a little bit.... now its a full blown obsession this year!!!! LOL :gig

Latest posts