Hi from British Columbia, Canada

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome to this side of the forum fence line! I see you in the Old Folks Home thread too.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome Hennible another British Columbian here. I'm also interested in growing heirloom vegetables mainly beans. I have quite an extensive list of beans to choose from so if you are looking for something in particular give me a shout. All the spare I had from last year have been given out but should have quite a few varieties in the fall. I'm planting Rattail Radishes for the second year in a row, the family loves them, don't have to worry about wormy roots as you eat the seedpods and bonus they bear all summer long. I've also got some Skirret and Sea Kale seed on, fingers crossed on these two, might be a little iffy getting them going.
Trying something new this year, a couple of Andean vegetables and some Crosne. all need a long growing season so this year they'll be growing in tubs so they can be moved to the greenhouse if needed to finish off. I'll probably pop in more often as the growing season starts, so many good people here.
Annette

Hennible

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi there aftermidnight. Where are you in BC?
I have some heirloom beans, just a few, I would love to trade but can offer more in the way of tomatoes and hot peppers... Oh peas and winter squash too, not all heirloom, but all organic.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Hennible I'm in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island z7b, we didn't have so much as one flake of snow this winter, go figure, last year we had lots. Other than a early freeze in November our winter has been very mild. The snow pack in the mountains around here is almost nil so it looks like we're heading for a drought this summer, time to get all my water barrels filled and get used to the idea I'm going to have to do a lot of hand watering :(. I grow a few tomatoes and peppers so that sounds like a plan. Do you have cherry tomatoes Indigo Rose and Cherokee Green Grape? I grew those last year and will be growing them again this year along with these cherries, Black Opal, Cheerio, Tigro and Yellow Pear. Also started are Cherokee Purple, Goldman's Italian American, Rio Fuego and Rinaldo.

I prefer to trade fresh seed so it won't be until the fall but have you tried the new purple snow pea bred in the U.K. "Shiraz" I could let you have a few of those right now. Somewhere on 'the 2014 Little Easy Bean Network I posted a list of the beans I hope to be growing this year, have a look and let me know what you might be interested in.
Annette

Hennible

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Fall sounds good. I've traded a lot this spring already so I'm on the low side ( I've traded for things other than seed). Which still leaves me more than I need but I like to keep a large stock :lol:
I'll have to get back to you with some names... I also have many varieties that I've lost the names for or never had names for (seeds I saved from farmers market produce and the like, or seeds I've inherited...) :(
Sorry about the possible dry season ahead of you.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What Old Folks Home thread? Is that another forum? I need to be there.

BYC- The Old Folks Home. Lots of friendly chicken people. I think some even don't have chickens at the moment. Hop on over there and say hello!! :frow

Latest posts