Hi from Oesdog

oesdog

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.
I know how I killed the broccoli seedlings.
There were loads of them in a tray so I decided to thin them out.
I carefully took them and put them into another tray all in little individual squares then I watered them in and then I put one of those plastic lids over them - and thats were it all started to go wrong.

I looked at them in the evening and they were great!!!!!!
The next day I was busy in the garden and so I didn't check them until that evening when they were all quite dead!!!!

The thing is I had put the try on the very top of the sheves in the greenhouse so combined with the watering and the plastic cover and the megga hot day we just had - well I kind of boiled the poor things to death!!! Practically cooked them !!!!!!! I feel so bad :(
The only saving grace is it was only plants!! but still - oh well there are more seedlings so I will have to start over today and this time learn not to boil them in a polly bag!!!!!

Oesdog :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After transplanting, I put the seedlings in the cool dark.

Seems almost counter-intuitive - they aren't really going to grow and that's why they were transplanted. But, the tiny things need some time to recover. A couple days to convalesce . . .

So, they are sent to bed in their new soil. And, because they are plants not animals, they go somewhere cool.

Plastic is handy but basically it is an enemy of life. The lightest, handiest containers and such can be made out of plastic but its relationship to living things is not so good.

My greenhouse has a UV-resistant plastic cover. Okay, all fine and good - it allows the light in. On a cloudy day, it doesn't allow enuf light in because if filters out about 10%+. On a cold dark night, it holds the heat, except it doesn't hold enuf heat in because about 90%+ escapes right thru it. On a sunny day, 90% of the light comes in and - instantly (!) - the heat jumps 20-30 degrees! A couple instants later, whatever was alive and can't either leave or open a window, is cooked.

Steve

You heard the one about the elephant that shared a small hotel room with 12 humans and a potted plant? It took just an instant for the elephant to get up and open a window.

oesdog

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
After transplanting, I put the seedlings in the cool dark.

Seems almost counter-intuitive - they aren't really going to grow and that's why they were transplanted. But, the tiny things need some time to recover. A couple days to convalesce . . .

So, they are sent to bed in their new soil. And, because they are plants not animals, they go somewhere cool.

Plastic is handy but basically it is an enemy of life. The lightest, handiest containers and such can be made out of plastic but its relationship to living things is not so good.

My greenhouse has a UV-resistant plastic cover. Okay, all fine and good - it allows the light in. On a cloudy day, it doesn't allow enuf light in because if filters out about 10%+. On a cold dark night, it holds the heat, except it doesn't hold enuf heat in because about 90%+ escapes right thru it. On a sunny day, 90% of the light comes in and - instantly (!) - the heat jumps 20-30 degrees! A couple instants later, whatever was alive and can't either leave or open a window, is cooked.

Steve

You heard the one about the elephant that shared a small hotel room with 12 humans and a potted plant? It took just an instant for the elephant to get up and open a window.
Thanks I will put all the other seedlings in the dark next time!!!!

We are planting out Beans and peas and we are growing Squash and pumpkin too!!!!!! Its all go here as there are plants ready to go out , seedlings needing to be seperated new beds going in and then we have seeds and all to plant too.

We don;t grow flowers - you can;t eat many of those!!!!

Oesdog

Latest posts