Hi from Ohio!

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member and I have a question about black walnut trees, how they emit juglone into the soil and is quite toxic to many plants, and I wondered if any of you knew if gladiolus grew well near it or if it was sensitive, as I was planning to put it in the bed near there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
First, :welcome from Central IL.
Second, Please put your general location with your avatar or signature, bc I will soon forget where you live.
Third, the panelists on Mid American Gardener, most of whom are Professor Emeritis from the College of A.C.E.S. at the University of Illinois, have often said that you cannot grow pretty much anything under black walnut trees except maybe weeds or mulch.
You could construct raised beds with a wooden bottom and grow anything you like underneath them.
I have a volunteer black walnut tree on the other side of my horse's fencing, and weed grass grows there, nothing else.

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
First, :welcome from Central IL.
Second, Please put your general location with your avatar or signature, bc I will soon forget where you live.
Third, the panelists on Mid American Gardener, most of whom are Professor Emeritis from the College of A.C.E.S. at the University of Illinois, have often said that you cannot grow pretty much anything under black walnut trees except maybe weeds or mulch.
You could construct raised beds with a wooden bottom and grow anything you like underneath them.
I have a volunteer black walnut tree on the other side of my horse's fencing, and weed grass grows there, nothing else.
Thanks I really appreciate it, 😁 I think I know what to do now, this helps a lot, the beds are a few feet away from the tree and the dirt must be polluted with it bc the plants are hardly growing there. I'll add a bunch of new dirt to the top and the bulbs won't reach the dirt underneath

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member and I have a question about black walnut trees, how they emit juglone into the soil and is quite toxic to many plants, and I wondered if any of you knew if gladiolus grew well near it or if it was sensitive, as I was planning to put it in the bed near there.
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello flocksofphlox. Welcome from northern New England. I have a number of black walnut trees, but they are in a wooded area on my property, not near any flowers, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question.

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello flocksofphlox. Welcome from northern New England. I have a number of black walnut trees, but they are in a wooded area on my property, not near any flowers, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question.
Thanks anyway 😊

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Latest posts