Hi, new from Bakersfield, California

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from baking hot Bakersfield. Gardening can be a challenge here summers, but we get great tomatoes, onions, eggplant and zucchini. If you like moussaka and eggplant parmesian, this is the place for you, with watermelon for dessert of course. And roses come early and stay late. And with the compost I make from rabbit and chicken droppings, they are happy, happy plants.:frow

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, greenthumbgranma! What, may I ask, is moussaka?

Isn't Bakersfield where they grow tons of garlic too?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
moussaka is a yummy Greek dish

:welcome

If your summers are too hot could you grow in the winter or spring what most of us have to grow in our short summers

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Bakersfield: where garlic grows well, almonds are king, and people stop on their way north or south when their car breaks down. Its claim to fame is that it has a river bed running through it. We also say how cool it is when its 90. :coolsun Winters I'm afraid are too cold for lettuces and other cool weather crops except for broccoli, root veggies and brussel sprouts.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm south of you. I go through there all the time on the way to Visalia to visit the in laws.

My husband is from Porterville originally. He has talked about moving us back, but I like the mild coastal weather.

Latest posts