History of Waltham Ag. Extension service?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a completely random question, you'd think I'd be able to find more info on the internet, but no.

I like to know the history of the things I'm planting, know when they were cultivated and how they were developed. It helps me make better-than-random decisions about what to buy, you know? Sometimes I get seed catalog descriptions that are a bit overoptimistic in their estimates for weather tolerance, but I know if I get a variety that was developed in Minnesota, it'll probably do well in Massachusetts.

A couple of times when I've gotten "Waltham" varieties of seeds, they haven't done too well. I know that Waltham, MA has had a USDA extension service and research facility for decades, and I had assumed that these varieties were developed at that site. Since they're about 20 minutes down the road from me, I figured, OK, this'll be fine.

Is there some other Waltham ag. extension service / research site out there? Are they referring to Waltham, Essex? How did Waltham broccoli, Waltham squash get developed?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nope, you had it right, it's the Waltham, Mass. Agricultural station, unfortunately, it got the budget axe quite a few years ago.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind, they have trial gardens now at Elm Bank. Hopefully they will get their you-know-what together at Mass Hort and pull out of the financial mess they're in. Elm Bank is a treasure, I hope they don't blow it
buttkick.gif

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Phyllis--Yeah, I was a grad student, ages ago, at ZooMass. I dunno, I was not so impressed with their stuff. They had a good guy doing some nice stuff with biological pesticides, but the students I used to get in soil microbiology, argh argh argh...and most of their teachers weren't a whole lot better, sadly.

Ann--So we can look forward to Elm Bank fruit/veggies? That would be cool.

You know, the most surprising thing to me is that all those big display gardens & stuff are free. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that they are free, but I grew up seeing Longwood Gardens, and I'm sorta surprised that they don't charge at least a nominal fee.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but the gardens are on public lands (they rent it from the former MDC via a 99 year lease). I think there are politics involved. Plus other parts of the reservation are used by local towns for ball fields, and the whole park is a walking area. How would they charge for just the gardens; then you're into a huge investment in fencing, gates, etc. The logistics are daunting, I don't think you'll see it happen.

Latest posts