Holly Bush: what to do with it?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just an update: Because I didn't have time to do anything with the Holly Bush that had all of the winter kill I just left it. And yes, it was quite an eye sore walking out of the house every day to see this dead brown bush right up front in my garden. But time has just not allowed. However...I noticed that the minimal green that was left was staying green and there was more green coming! The other night I had a few minutes to go cut the dead off. Low and behold, there is now a tremendous amount of new green growth! Yipee! I cut all the dead off and left it laying next to it because it got dark. I will try and take a pic this weekend to show how much dead vs new growth.

I am just completely surprised that this bush is making a come back! :ya

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhill, I guess it knew what was coming! Sounds like it will look good by the end of this year. Then, you can maybe protect it where it is or move it.

Thistle, I'm like you. I gave up nursing plants back to health. It's so much easier to just shuck em and buy a new one. Defintely worth the money to me to not see something ugly for months! I don't like "ugly"! :lol:

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh good news Stubby! :)

I have a similar holly problem. I bought a 2 gallon shrub ( with a variety of other shrubs ) for a customer last fall and then she changed her mind. The nursery I bought it from had closed for the season by that time , so I just brought it home and was going to put it in my back border where all the customer discards and such go. But winter came early and...blahblahblah. Anyway, it didn't winter real well in the pot :/ , so now I have a mostly dead holly. I might cut it way back and put it in the back of the border and if it lives good, and if it dies, oh well.

Glad that yours is a survivor!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This the holly bush that was all winter kill except for litterally 4 or 5 little sprigs of green in the spring.

8199_holly_bush.jpg

This is all of the dead stuff that I cut off last weekend. (and yes, I just left it in a pile. No time to move yet. Don't judge me! :lol:)

8199_holly_bush_dead_stuff.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm guessing thistlebloom that if you carry on with your plan for your holly bush, you will have the same result. This was really, really sad looking before. :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's worth a try, although a young plant in a container doesn't have the same chance as an established shrub in the ground. Mine probably got a lot of root kill as well as top kill. I should have got it in the ground weeks ago...

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Stubborn, I wish we lived closer cuz I have a male Holly that is thriving and can't keep a female alive. :(

But I too had difficulty with the male in the beginning. I planted it in a treeline to fill in a bare spot. It must have had too much shade from the large ash trees and maples, so when we moved, I brought it with us. This house, I planted it in full sun, yet sheltered by a fence from strong winds. It has never looked healthier! It flowered this spring and has an abundance of new growth.

I'm glad to see that you seem to have found the solution to the problem, they are such lovely plants!

hedgenursery

Sprout
Reaction score
I think you should cut your failures and pull it. Additionally, you could trim it returning to stay cells ( after last lock up time frame ) and stay with an unpleasant shrub for several decades until it increased out again.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hedgenursery said:
I think you should cut your failures and pull it. Additionally, you could trim it returning to stay cells ( after last lock up time frame ) and stay with an unpleasant shrub for several decades until it increased out again.

I am glad that I just let it do its thing and trim off the dead stuff. It looks beautiful now! Of course not as large as the other that was purchased at the same time. But not an eye sore by any stretch. I'll try and take an updated pic tonight if I have time.

And :welcome

Latest posts