holy cow, it's hot!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yep, excessive heat warnings both today and tomorrow--96 and 97 degrees. My body and mind shut down when it's too hot. It FINALLY got cool enough outside about 7 pm last night, so I mowed the orchard and mulched my squashes there with grass clippings. THEY are loving the heat!!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
88'F and very sunny. Heat index of 92'. Thank goodness the humidity is only 46%, if it was higher we'd all be dying. As it is, it's bad. Ugh. I don't mind the heat (I love desert heat!) but high humidity knocks me down almost immediately.

Hubby and I are seriously considering Vegas for our retirement. Not the madness of the Strip, probably north or northwest, about 30 minutes from the tourist traps. Somewhere we can have chickens :)

Whitewater

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's what I like about San Diego. With the dessert only a mountain range away to the East and the ocean in our back yard our normal temperature range is 60 to 80 degrees. 90 degrees is a heat wave and 50 degrees is Winter.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was out in the garden for about 2 hours, and was sweating my butt off at 6:00. I am soooooo thankful to the inventor of air conditioning!!! :bow

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
That's what I like about San Diego. With the dessert only a mountain range away to the East and the ocean in our back yard our normal temperature range is 60 to 80 degrees. 90 degrees is a heat wave and 50 degrees is Winter.
Oh but go a little into the east county and you'll know all about it!!!

In July 2005 I believe, it got up to 117 in El Cajon, I thought I was going to DIE!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally a break from the heat!! We've got highs in the upper 70s/low 80s predicted thru Friday! :weee I guess I don't have any excuse now not to clean out the chicken coop. :rolleyes: Anyone else getting better weather?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mid 90's now down to upper 80's with less humidity. That is a tremendous relief.

Not that we were dry, but I measured 1.4" of rain Sunday night. Monday evening I dug potatoes and it was not in the least muddy. There was even a dry area toward the bottom of my potato hill. Since the top of the soil is now moist instead of baked, it is a great time to pull some of those weeds and grass out of the strawberries and get them mulched.

Latest posts