Home and dry

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We pulled in at 10 last night, very thankful for a safe journey and very, very thankful to be home.
We had a bittersweet visit with my parents, enjoying their company but realizing that we may never see each other again.
Old hurts were forgiven and laid aside, shared some laughs and shed more than a few tears.

My husband and I pruned and pulled and raked and blew and mowed and edged and hauled (whew!) about 5 truckloads of plant debris out of the garden. For such a small lot there was a lot of material. Mom hasn't been up to doing much maintenance for over two years, and in that climate things grow wild fast. Her garden is beautiful again and she was profoundly moved and thankful for all our work.

I'm so proud of my mom. At 60 something when they moved into that place she designed and installed nearly everything herself, with a bit of help from dad. ( At 70ish my dad built a garage onto the house with out any assistance. I'm proud of him too. :) )

She built a berm by the road for her rhodies, to screen the house from the street. They are now huge and beautiful.

In the side yard she built a dry creek bed to meander down to the street curb. Dad routed the house gutters to drain into it so it flows when there's rain. After a few years of battling the moles disrupting it she cemented the creekbed and scattered beach rocks that she had collected in 5 gallon buckets from the beach down it. Not just any beach rocks either. She chose the prettiest, or most interesting rocks for her project. She also mixed and poured cement for a small path through the gate into the back yard, all by herself.

What makes that so amazing is that my mom was never a real physical person. More of a girlie girl with nice finger nails.

(I take more after my dad apparently. :rolleyes: )

She has massive, layered beds that always have something blooming, and she has made it a little Eden. But taking care of all that is beyond her now.

We talked to them about living with us so that we could help them, or living with my sis in MO, but they declined. They like where they are and wish to stay there. But it's a worrisome neighborhood and they are so terribly frail....

For now I've made arrangements with a gardener to come weekly and do the lawn maintenance and anything else my mom needs done, but it's no substitute for being close by personally.

I guess we had some rain here the week we were away, and you should see my new crop of weeds. Practically knee high! Why don't my tomatoes grow that fast? My clematis were also getting unruly and wandering all over the beds instead of climbing up where they belong.

Today was a day to hang out at home and rest ( and catch up with you guys, man, a whole week without internet!) But tomorrow I'm going to have to hit the ground running.

edited because I'm not sure what bunruly is but I don't think my clems have it.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're home :) i'm sure you've got a lot to catch up on but dont work too hard in this heat!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you are glad to be home, there really is no place like home. It sounds like you had a good visit with your parents and were able to give your Mom some much needed help. You will be so glad that you did things around the house and yard for your Mom. I know she appreciated it. Get some rest, then hit your garden and do weed duty. :)

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
gosh, what a stressful, emotional, trying visit with your parents. I've had that visit when I thought I may never see them again. it's a wrenching feeling. you did a wonderful thing for her by bringing her garden back to glory. that was a precious gift you gave her, and to find a gardener to come help them. that was remarkable.

I have tried to make a berm like your mother did. I made a mess of it. it's too high, too abrupt. I wish I could redo it, but I've got two big trees on it so I need to do plan b. plan b involves a lot of work though, so it waits.
I have also made a dry creek bed. the bones are good, but it needs some serious labor to get it to finished point.

glad you made it home ok & your place welcomed you back with many things to do so you wouldn't feel un necessary. ;)
hope your parents have some good times still in front of them & I hope they don't wait too long to figure out when it's time to let it go & come to you or your sister.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like your parents have many happy memories of that house. Change is very hard for older people. My father always says he was born in ths house and wll die in this house.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, can you check into the state agencies where your parents live to see if there is a service that would do in-home care, housekeeping, etc? If your dad is a veteran, he may qualify. If their income is low, they probably qualify. There has been a push in the last few years to try to keep elders in their homes, rather than put them in a nursing home, or assisted living, so there are programs out there. However, with recent budget cuts, some of them may have been discontinued.
When my parents decided to break up their household and move into assisted living, it was eventually "better" for their health, but my mom mourns daily for her kitchen, garden and freedom. She would not be able to live by herself, but still wants to. It's a tough situation. I feel for you.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You did amazing for your folks. I know they can be stubborn, I'm glad my parents are close so I can help when I can. They want to move away to florida, but they'll probably stay long as they need.

I'm glad you are home and well. After all the work, get some rest.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That wasn't an easy trip to make... glad it was successful and that you are home safe.

Latest posts