Home Made Butter and Dish

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Silver Lining
An insight into the history, beauty, and use of sterling silver flatware, holloware, and antiques.
What is the history of the silver butter dish and how is it used?
OCTOBER 7, 2009

by Beverly Bremer Silver Shop
Butter in America
Cost and perishability combined, gave butter luxury status on the 19th Century table. In rural areas of the United States, women commonly made butter at home for their family’s consumption and for sale to the city’s grocers. This practice continued long after the advent of factory produced butter in the 1860’s.

In Early 20th Century, the standard for farm and factory production of butter was molding into one pound circular cakes, which measured roughly four inches in diameter. Butter dishes were usually designed to conform to the round shape and featured an ice chamber with a pierced liner, which served to keep the butter above melting ice (figure 1).

Butter Dish Liner (figure1)

The use of a specialized butter knife (figure 2) helped to prevent individuals from plunging their own used knives into the main butter source. Shaping butter cylinders into curls, lead to the introduction of the butter pick (figure 3). Butter picks were specially made to retrieve one curl at a time, without breaking or dropping the delicate serving. This practice can still be found on tables in restaurants and homes, bringing a touch of exquisiteness to any meal.

Master Butter Knife (figure 2)

Butter Pick (figure 3)

Butter has always been apart of the dining experience. Today, using any knife, we use a foil wrapped piece of butter to season our accompanying side dishes. The butter dish is a piece of art that is a marvelous collectors item, guaranteeing hundreds of years of elegant use with a table setting.

Reference: Joseph P.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just finished reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, "Farmer Boy", to the kids. I thought it was amazing how buyers went out to the farms in search of butter and other products to purchase directly from the the farmer or his wife to be sold in the city grocery stores. I wonder at what point in time the USDA and FDA stepped in and put a stop to that and how that transition went. Otherwise, I could now be making a killing working from home! :gig But of course it is necessary that there must be safety regulations. And business permits and taxes for the gov't to collect...

I had never heard of a butter pick. I googled, but couldn't find an image of one in use.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most people nowadays get their "butter" out of a plastic tub. :sick
Does anyone here make their own butter? I remember seeing it in a one pound round, but I can't remember where. Maybe my grandma made it? I have made it a few times since I started getting raw milk, but we like the cream in the milk too much to sacrifice it for butter. So I just buy the butter.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One thing to know which is your salad fork, image in Victorian times having 6 different forks and 6 different spoons for one meal
Wow, they must have had a really big dish washer for all that cleanup!!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts