Home Made Cider update apple or grape crusher

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today friends and I tryied to make home made cider. Youtube videos made it look real easy. I got a antique motorize crusher and a hand turned press, bought a case of madson jars . All we had to do was crush apples then put in cheese cloth bag and them press. Got up early went to local u pick orchard, got apples. When we tried to crush them, not sure what happened, motor worked bar with spikes turned, but apples wouldn't go though. No matter how small we cut the apples they wouldn't crush. Total waste of bushel of apples. In a fit of rage I threw crusher filled with apples in middle of pond!!! Only thing we could think of was crusher was for grapes to make wine, apple where much harder. Anyone want a small apple press? Cost about $80 in supplies now feeding fish.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is looking for a cider press. Are you sure you want to part with the press? The crusher is history. ;) PM me or email what you have in mind. But give yourself time to cool down you may decide to try the press again.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What about...put your cut up apples in the crusher, add some boiling water (small amount) so the apples get warm and softer. Let sit a while. Try crushing then.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can think of it this way, NyBoy.

I made hard cider 4 or 5 times over several years. Great! Must be the only alcoholic beverage that requires no aging. Maintains its apple flavor. Trouble free!

The last time I made it, it was terrible ..! Careful to get the same wine yeast ... don't know what went wrong ...

Steve
who has totally decided not to mention the price of Halloween pumpkins at Lowe's