Home Made cow manure recipe

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been pouring over Florida Garden websites... trying to make up for prep time in my garden beds... I'll get home by end Mar/early April...

I found a recipe on one of the sites, and wanted your opinion and thoughts...

My soil is very sandy and loomy in places... and I know I will need to amend with various fertilizers...but, this is quick, affordable..and interesting...

It is easy to make your own home made "Cow Manure" from the clippings you catch in your lawn mower bag. Here is how:

Get a two large black (black works the best) yard bags.

Open the yard bags then place one inside of the other.

Empty the lawn clippings from your lawn mower bag into the yard bags.

Locate a sunny, but out of the way place to put the now filled bag.

Add two quarts of water to the lawn clippings contained in the bag. Also add a healthy dose of dried septic tank accelerator.

Close the bag with a tie, but not too tightly -- you will want the gases that are produced to be able to escape the bag. And, yes, it is going to smell a little "funky" as it ages -- just like the real stuff in a barn yard!

Roll the bag over weekly (be careful as the bag may be hot to the touch due to the natural activities of fermentation).

Depending upon the weather your manure may be ready in 1 to 2 months. Do not be afraid to open the bag occasionally to check on its consistency.

Doneness often depends upon personal preference.

Apply your manure as you would fresh cow manure.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Athena are you still in Iraq???? Be sure to tell us when yuo are home so we can send you some seeds to help you get started....

Pam

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Athena said:
I have been pouring over Florida Garden websites... trying to make up for prep time in my garden beds... I'll get home by end Mar/early April...

I found a recipe on one of the sites, and wanted your opinion and thoughts...

My soil is very sandy and loomy in places... and I know I will need to amend with various fertilizers...but, this is quick, affordable..and interesting...

It is easy to make your own home made "Cow Manure" from the clippings you catch in your lawn mower bag. Here is how:

Get a two large black (black works the best) yard bags.

Open the yard bags then place one inside of the other.

Empty the lawn clippings from your lawn mower bag into the yard bags.

Locate a sunny, but out of the way place to put the now filled bag.

Add two quarts of water to the lawn clippings contained in the bag. Also add a healthy dose of dried septic tank accelerator.

Close the bag with a tie, but not too tightly -- you will want the gases that are produced to be able to escape the bag. And, yes, it is going to smell a little "funky" as it ages -- just like the real stuff in a barn yard!

Roll the bag over weekly (be careful as the bag may be hot to the touch due to the natural activities of fermentation).

Depending upon the weather your manure may be ready in 1 to 2 months. Do not be afraid to open the bag occasionally to check on its consistency.

Doneness often depends upon personal preference.

Apply your manure as you would fresh cow manure.
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I think I'd just try to find someone with some REAL cow manure! lol

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Athena are you still in Iraq???? Be sure to tell us when yuo are home so we can send you some seeds to help you get started....

Pam
Hi Pam.....

Yes, I am STILL here.... I have a flight tentatively scheduled out for tomorrow, but, a huge sandstorm has blown in....Grrrr!!! I will take a few photos and send when I get back... Altho, its nothing like being here, when your trying to see and breathe!

I have to call in at 6Pm tonight and see if we are flying...

I am shipping the last of my things today...as I have so much official gear to have to turn in (and that flies with me). Im scheduled to fly out of Qatar on the 19th....so, I should be home by the First Day of Spring (20 March) or the 21st!

Thanks for thinking of me, and emailing me the prayers....

Tell Drew, I got a plaque of sorts... a mini T-barrier with my name and dates of deployment,.... to resemble all the T-Barriers we have around here... Its really quite nice. I will photo it when I get back home. Right now, its in a box waitting to be shipped.

And I would love some seeds... I had bought quite a few from Parks... but....Thanks for thinking of me... I will email my address!

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
setter4 said:
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I think I'd just try to find someone with some REAL cow manure! lol
setter..... we get alot of horse manure in and around Jax... but, its too problematic... they eat all kinds of things, and I have enough unidentifited weeds.... no need to intro more...

I have asked the man who does my lawn to save my bags of grass from my front lawn...and when home, I will work on it for a few months and see if I can get something viable out of it... If not, I know, I can buy manure...

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Athena said:
setter4 said:
setter..... we get alot of horse manure in and around Jax... but, its too problematic... they eat all kinds of things, and I have enough unidentifited weeds.... no need to intro more...

I have asked the man who does my lawn to save my bags of grass from my front lawn...and when home, I will work on it for a few months and see if I can get something viable out of it... If not, I know, I can buy manure...
You can report in on this experiment and let us all know how it goes.
Have a safe trip!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have a safe trip home and we'll be seeing you and many many many photos from you soon!!!

You'll be able to start getting your seeds in the ground as soon as you get home. I heard the weather there was gorgeous. Miss you and sending good wishes and prayers from NC!