Home made insect spray

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The speaker at the last Northeastern New York Orchid Society meeting was a professional orchid grower, and among the topics he covered was a homemade insect spray using Dr. Bronner’s Pep-permint Pure-Castille Soap.

He said this recipe offers great control for aphids, mealy bugs, scale and many other insects, so I thought I would pass it on.

Mix three tablespoons of soap and 3/4 cup of Isopropyl Alcohol into a one-quart spray bottle. Fill the remainder of the bottle with water and shake well before using. Spray on sight whenever insects are found. Best used on cloudy days.

I found the soap at Target, however, I am sure it is available elsewhere.

insect spray.jpg

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@jackb did he happen to mention if it harmed bees or kept them away from the flowers when used outdoors? My roses have an aphid problem every year and I don't want to use anything very harsh as they are all mixed in with the flowers that my lil' pollinators love so much.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb did he happen to mention if it harmed bees or kept them away from the flowers when used outdoors? My roses have an aphid problem every year and I don't want to use anything very harsh as they are all mixed in with the flowers that my lil' pollinators love so much.

This is how soap based sprays work:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-insecticidal-soap-1902893

Soap based insect spray is safe for bees:

http://northcoastgardening.com/2010/05/honeybee-safe-pesticides/

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds gross but you know when you lift up a container or pot and see all those little pill bugs running for the hills. If you sit the pot down quickly on top of them and give it a good twist grinding the little buggers into oblivion, next time you lift the pot, no pill bugs, they don't come back to visit their dead relatives.

Annette

Latest posts