Home Repairs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is not water. It is the sealant used to seal the two panes together and retain the nitrogen gas that is under vacuum. It appears later in insulated glass life cycles on some windows. At least your windows are proper and use a metal internal spacer frame. They chose poorly on the sealant as it is obviously moving with the heating and cooling of the day. This process takes years. I have seen the use of flexible framing that pulls so far inside you can see the part that is the shiny metal bowing inward. Cost cutting that was not vetted for a decade basically caused the problem.

Replacing the pane is the only solution once those seals fail. There is a dehydrated lime inside the hollow of the metal spacer that will make a white frosting across the pane eventually as the seals fail and pull moist air into the vacuum space. The heat of the day then starts the gas expanding and pushing outside and as it cools it draws in ever more moisture to which the lime is attracted. In time the inside surfaces get coated with white lime also indicating a need for replacement. If they do not fail rapidly after installation average construction can last 30 years when they have the big spacer like yours. There is simply more sealant on the big spacers than the panes with the thin little spacer can use. There is usually a second layer of sealant unseen that surrounds the pane on the edge to retard the inevitable degradation of the polymer sealants. This is an effort to extend the lifespan of the product. They will all fail eventually.

The new replacements should have at least 1 low emission coating though it could have 2 since there are 2 panes. Here a low-e glass can stop 40 degrees F across the surfaces where yours would be 20f as designed. A low-e 2x can stop 60 degrees here. Very good insulation for glass. This low-e coating is a invisible super smooth surface basically that is so smooth energy cannot radiate off of it as efficiently as regular glass. Usually its some form of silver that is super thin and clear. The idea is the exact opposite of a lightning rod or radio antenna.
Thank you very much

You have seriously impressed me. 👏 :D
I thought it was a leak.
How I wish I had read your informative reply before the call that I have literally just received.

There's been a substantial rise in our rental properties here, which was deeply worrying because works have been denied and delayed appallingly with this company for many years.

My kitchen should have been renewed before I moved in, then I was promised it would be updated at the latest 2022 between 2023 that is now allegedly going ahead in 2025.

In saying all of the above they are sending a glass company out next Wednesday. I was really happily surprised by their fast response. So now I can attempt to speak your lingo and pretend i knew all along 🤣.

I just hope I don't make a fool of myself 😐

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you very much

You have seriously impressed me. 👏 :D
I thought it was a leak.
How I wish I had read your informative reply before the call that I have literally just received.

There's been a substantial rise in our rental properties here, which was deeply worrying because works have been denied and delayed appallingly with this company for many years.

My kitchen should have been renewed before I moved in, then I was promised it would be updated at the latest 2022 between 2023 that is now allegedly going ahead in 2025.

In saying all of the above they are sending a glass company out next Wednesday. I was really happily surprised by their fast response. So now I can attempt to speak your lingo and pretend i knew all along 🤣.

I just hope I don't make a fool of myself 😐
Update: I called them back and told them I was sure it was the sealant. The man I spoke to was really impressed with me, so then I felt guilty and said it was a knowledgeable friend of mine knew not me. 😊 😚

Fame for only one moment 🤣