Homemade Deer Repellent Recipe

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found this deer repellent recipe on Washington state DNR website three years ago.
It's easy, cheap, and it works better than anything else I have tried in my long battle with the beasts!
It also seems to repel rabbits, but unfortunately not woodchucks...:rant

Use on ornamentals only, NOT on things you will eat!

2 eggs - beat well and strain ( to remove white stringy things that clog sprayer, OR blend in mixer for 2 minutes on high)
1 C. milk
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper*
20 drops clove, cinnamon, or eucalyptus oil*
1 tsp. dish soap
1 tsp. cooking oil

Mix well and add water to make one gallon.

Mist on plants every 2-4 weeks or after heavy rains. (no need to saturate, just mist on the top of plants where deer will taste and smell)
Store remainder in fridge for up to a month... CLEARLY LABELED!

*Substitutions I have used that work very well: (for the heat and spice)
Boil 1 heaping T. whole Cloves and 10-12 HOT peppers (any) in about a gallon of water, for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely! Strain and add this as your water to the other ingredients to make 1 gallon spray.

** Important tip - Deer establish a grazing pattern. Spray plants right away in Spring, and as soon as you notice they are feeding.

More tips on living with deer, including how to attract them to your yard... :lol: ... Washington DNR

This repellent seems to hold on the plants well, even through rains, but new growth needs to be sprayed.
I used it about once a month on many gardens, not a single bite all season, for three years.... :celebrate

"What ... who .... ME? ... naaa" .... :lol:

6517_cimg6386.jpg

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why couldn't this be used on veggies? Seems like if you washed off the veggies before eating them there shouldn't be any harm?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Why couldn't this be used on veggies? Seems like if you washed off the veggies before eating them there shouldn't be any harm?
Good question!
I have read too much conflicting advice to recommend using homemade repellents on food crops.
Possibly just because it is not tested? ... some say capsaicin and other spices can be absorbed by plants, altering the flavor of the produce.... ?
Also, that egg based repellents should not be consumed, however many commercial sprays that are labeled safe for food crops contain egg product and/or pepper ingredients...?

Personally, I think it could be used sparingly on young crops (before production of fruit or veggie), dormant fruit trees and plants to prevent winter feeding.

More info

I am always looking for more info about this... please add your comments, advice, research findings! :)

Latest posts