Hopefully new laptop tomorrow!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
By tomorrow afternoon sometime I should be back and hooking up my new laptop, and hopefully I will not have to be only kind of here like a fading photograph on a proxy server!!! Just got the confirmation email it arrived and I'll drive down the mountain to go get it.

Gotta make it a multi tasking trip!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have limped along very admirably. We are tickled you can get a new laptop. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Off to Ukiah!

You know, California is quite a state to have a Yucaipa, Ukiah, and Eureka scattered about its landscape!

My aunt and uncle lived a long time in Ukiah. I remember visiting over 50 years ago when it was mostly just a sawmill town.

Hey Marshall, did you know that there is a Heap's Peak Arboretum near Yucaipa? Yeah, probable named for the person who founded Morse Science High in Ukiah - Yucaipa Heap!

Steve :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was Yucaipa related to Uriah? I think it was Uriah who developed the best way to inflate horse tires.

Course, not everyone has been to the...

YREKABAKERY

Spell it backwards...

Yes, I do have vague recollections of Ukiah 50 years ago. Highway 101 went right through town until 1968 or so. Used to get gas at a station made out of a redwood tree...still there as a small museum bookstore. The main sawmill is gone. There is a motocross track, some extensions of the fairgrounds, and a tire shop there, also some just vacant part and a hay field. There is the newer sawmill up state street. Population says just over 15,000. I think that's about half what it really is. I really like Ukiah!

alright, got to run!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yreka!

I don't know how I forgot about that town for the moment . . .

I wonder how they got 2 towns with such similar names as Eureka & Yreka so close together.

Then, just down the road is Weed. My mom went to high school in Weed. It probably brings to mind something different these days but "Weed?"

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
What was wrong with the last pc? I just installed a linux distro and kept using the same pc.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Was Yucaipa related to Uriah? I think it was Uriah who developed the best way to inflate horse tires.
No, no, no, it was the Italian inventor Needa Morepsi that perfected horse tire inflating. What are they teaching you people over there???

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the firsr place I came on to with this new computer!!! Even before the registration stuff!

Tiny little laptop!

It came with some kind of european wall outlet and I'm on battery right now. Aaaaaagh, another trip to town needed. 2 pillar shaped prongs probably a centimetre apart. Hayle will know what country that's from. No messenger on this one, yet. I'll shut this one off and switch to the old one. I failed to remember to get a phone cord ethernet gadgety splotter thing like she told me to...i'll leave in the typos so i can figure my mistakes...this laptop's made for elves i guess! but looky! no proxy, no virus, no malware!

The "quick guide" for this puppy is...75 pages, about the size of a reader's digest magazine. Next thing i have to do is make sure i get bits of doritos between these keys and plenty of cat hair all over the staticy monitor. THEN this will feel comfortable. gotta get used to the touchpad i guess. no cursor button on it, just a firmer press.

ok, now to page 3. says it has a webcam! OH SHOOT! I DIDN'T SHAVE AND I HAVE A DORITO CHIP IN MY MOUTH! DON'T LOOK! says the microphone is built in too. and i was chewing with my mouth open! emily post is gonna kill me! oh boy, a built in camera card reader! 1 less cord to worry about!

But looks like I'm here, no proxy needed now!

mmm, i'll stay on this one a few more minutes then switch

Howdy from the world of no proxy server everyone!

Latest posts