hopes are dashed again!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gotten about 3 inches in the last two days. It was off and on, hard, stop, slow, sun, hard rain, mostly Saturday. No rain today. It was very welcome, as we are in one of the most drought-stricken areas. But then, who isn't, this year? Hope the rest of you get rain soon.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, we have had a fine misty rain off and on all day. I just checked the gauge and by-golly we have accumulated 1" today. Very nice. Two more days like this would be great.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We ended up with about 1.5". A little more would be nice, but it looks like this system spent more time east of here, just like most of the other systems that have come thru this summer. I wonder why it happens like that.... :hu. But I can wait another week to water again, so that helps.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And you know that rain seems to benefit the plants so much more than just equal watering. Good for your 1.5 inches!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

I looked back over the last 24 months of Weather Service local reports. Only 1 day out of 2 years had precipitation "1.00 inches or more."

But this is normal for here. This isn't desert - it is officially "semi-arid" with a little less than 20" of precip per year. Much of that is winter snow.

I don't wish "semi-arid" on the upper Midwest! There would be way too much adjusting and adapting that would have to happen.

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got another shower today & got almost. 25". I am having rain envy with all of the areas around that got a lot more. But I'm definitely grateful for what we got.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shew-weeee! We're getting some serious rain now. My little rain gauge indicated 1.25" last night at bed time and an additional 1.5" so far this morning. The weather map indicates another few hours of rain this morning. I love it and so do my trees and pond.

My new 1 1/2 acre pond has been at 3 ft. most of the summer (it's supposed to be 16 ft. deep) and yesterday I noticed that the water level is up about 2" over the past 5 or 6 days. If the ground is saturated back there the water level should come up pretty quickly. In the spring when the pond was first dug, I put in some small fish habitat toward the back of the pond. Wooden pallets, PVC pipe structures, and old truck tires. Since the water level has been low all summer DW has been complaining that it looks "so trashy" back there. When the water level gets to about 11 ft. all of my habitat structures will be under water and out of sight. Patients is a virtue.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here in my town we finally got some late summer rain But not enough. But more is one the way !! :weee Most of Phoenix and Mesa area got flooded !

Latest posts