Hoping it's not too late...

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was promised some garlic back in Sept. by a local grower (we baled some straw for them to use on their garlic), but haven't gotten any yet. So, I bought some at the local food co-op and plan on planting it today or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow since I just saw something online that I have to soak it first to get the paper covering off of the cloves. I live in MN, and it's getting cooler out - 30's and 40's for highs, below freezing for nighttime lows. Is it too late to plant? Do I need to water it if I do? I will probably plant just one or two bulbs to see what happens. I was just wondering if anyone in colder climates has planted this late and what you results have been.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It does seem pretty late to me, and i'm in a similar climate to what you describe. I usually get mine in around Oct. 10 - 15. But what can it hurt?? I've never heard of soaking your cloves first, mine go in with their paper wrappers intact...but that doesnt mean you cant do it that way! Good luck, and welcome to TEG!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I guess the worst that can happen is they'll rot in the ground. The growers around here usually plant about Halloween and plan to harvest July 4th. I see some just got planted last week, though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have planted daffodils in November, Bobbi-J. That worked okay.

My shallots go in at the same time I plant onion sets in the spring. For a long time I thought that I was doing something wrong with that schedule, despite it working just fine. Now, I've learned that shallots should only be planted in the fall in zone 5 and higher. Well, this is zone 5, I suppose, so I've got "options."

I came across this when I was wondering about the spring planting of shallots: "Garlic can be planted in spring or fall. Fall planting is somewhat riskier in that there is danger of winterkill, but there is also potential for higher yields with fall planting. In general, fall plantings are made in mid to late September. The cold winter will break the dormancy of the bulbs and allow growth to begin early in the spring. If garlic is to be planted in spring, previously chilled bulbs should be planted on prepared soil before the end of April." Ministry of Agriculture, Government of Saskatchewan (link).

Steve

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I have planted daffodils in November, Bobbi-J. That worked okay.

My shallots go in at the same time I plant onion sets in the spring. For a long time I thought that I was doing something wrong with that schedule, despite it working just fine. Now, I've learned that shallots should only be planted in the fall in zone 5 and higher. Well, this is zone 5, I suppose, so I've got "options."

I came across this when I was wondering about the spring planting of shallots: "Garlic can be planted in spring or fall. Fall planting is somewhat riskier in that there is danger of winterkill, but there is also potential for higher yields with fall planting. In general, fall plantings are made in mid to late September. The cold winter will break the dormancy of the bulbs and allow growth to begin early in the spring. If garlic is to be planted in spring, previously chilled bulbs should be planted on prepared soil before the end of April." Ministry of Agriculture, Government of Saskatchewan (link).

Steve
Thanks for the info! I wonder if "previously chilled" means refrigerating them for a certain amount of time? I'm going to have to do some research on that and maybe try planting some in the spring, too, just to see what happens. I planted some from our local nursery this spring - they said it would work, but the cloves seem to have disintegrated into the ground. Not even a shoot coming up from any of them. It will be an interesting experiment, anyway...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe you will have no problem planting this late. I do not soak the paper off the cloves. Just pop them in the dirt. As long as your ground is not frozen, you will be fine. The cloves are not really growing until spring, anyway. Your harvest date, may just be a little later. I have never watered garlic. Good luck!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, Lesa for the encouragement. I soaked them for a couple of hours because that was the information on another website, rather than over night. (If you don't like what you read the first time, just keep looking until you find something that suits you, right? :) ) I did not water them because they went into good moisture, and now I have the straw over them. Now for my next question, although I'm jumping the gun a bit here - when do I remove the straw? After they sprout? After the danger of frost is past? Never? I know I don't need to know this until next spring or summer, but I like to be prepared.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first started planting garlic, I always covered the row with straw. Removed it in the spring- worked out great! Then, one year I was too busy to add straw... surprise, the garlic did just fine without it. I never bother now. I usually side dress with chicken poop in the late fall. Other than that, mother nature does the rest. IMHO there is nothing easier to grow than garlic! Can't wait to see how you do!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
When I first started planting garlic, I always covered the row with straw. Removed it in the spring- worked out great! Then, one year I was too busy to add straw... surprise, the garlic did just fine without it. I never bother now. I usually side dress with chicken poop in the late fall. Other than that, mother nature does the rest. IMHO there is nothing easier to grow than garlic! Can't wait to see how you do!
Huh - I could kill two birds with one stone there. I have chickens and clean out my coop in the fall. If I feel the need to cover with straw, I can cover with chicken poop straw! I'm very excited to see how this little experiment works out. Planning a big garden in the spring - my son and daughter-in-law would like to garden with us next year, and we have lots of things we'd like to try.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobbi-j said:
lesa said:
Huh - I could kill two birds with one stone there. I have chickens and clean out my coop in the fall. If I feel the need to cover with straw, I can cover with chicken poop straw! I'm very excited to see how this little experiment works out. Planning a big garden in the spring - my son and daughter-in-law would like to garden with us next year, and we have lots of things we'd like to try.
planting that far north you have a 50/50 chance, imho next year get them in the ground by late september so they have a chance to grow some roots to anchor themselves in the winter and cover them with straw so they do not heave.
also read up on what types grow best in your region.

as far soaking them, it's best to leave as much paper on them as possible the paper helps on keeping soil pathogens off the cloves while sprouting. yes while busting up heads into cloves you will get a few that loss their paper, but if you get them planted anyway you will have a 95 % sprout rate.

as for feeding early spring is the best time thats when they need it the most.

also once they start to produce scapes wait till they curl and then cut them off, save them they are wonderful to cook with

good luck and welcome to the forum......

Latest posts