Horse Poop! My Fall/Winter/Spring project.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some friends nearby; they want to become Great Tomato Folk! They actually did quite well this year at the Market. They ordered like $50 in various seeds for next year.

I am really enthusiastic for them to say the least, but they do not have a compost pile. They have never supplemented their soil before and the plot out back is really a sand-pit mixed with clay parts below it.

My only hope for them, aside from starting composting now and getting some rabbits or a goat, was to find a source for manure! Manure is their hope!

So I gathered my thoughts and made a few phone calls and low-and-behold one of my college professors has a horse farm (18 right now). Today I was able to go visit. She is up there by a few more years than me and she is living alone taking care of her horses by herself. The arena area is nice, the stalls are perfect and each is thick full of river bottom sand! Just the perfect set-up! She does all her own cleaning and has been paying for a dumpster to haul the poop away for years.

So, even though I did not want to become the 'Official Stall Cleaner" for her facility, I guess I sort of had to trade myself off a bit. Her gold is worth my sweat! So I now have another job LOL without pay! I am a notorious bargainer! LOL :gig

I went to my friends house with this load...but they weren't ready! I think I may have motivated them, because the next load is tomorrow morning, and the next, and the next, and the next! LOL

Personally I will do this passively and over time, but I do need to do an initial cleaning of everyone right now; she said some areas have gone without a cleaning for 6 months (open areas). I won't get overwhelmed by this, but I guess my friends are in for a nice arrival of new smells and a load a flies! LOL :bee

6165_manure.jpg

Yee Haw! I tell ya, nothing like having a gardener friend with OCD! LOL Watch Out! :tools

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well my friend you talked yourself into a heap of poop this time!

100_2836.jpg

I was thinking of the delegation method!

I found the poop, you need the poo!
I see another deal struck!

Or go this route,
1signshelp4.gif

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey there,

I just came in from spreading it out in the orchard and now the chickens are going through it!

Such a sweet WAFT! in the wind LOL

The Sweet sweet Smell of Success!

getty_rf_photo_of_dog_playing_dead.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Hattie,

No, that is just an internet puppy! I thought his pose was appropriate for the moment! LOL

I am not much of a Pug person myself, I feel bad that their little noses are all crunched in! LOL But they sure are cute!

Ron :rainbow-sun

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So jealous we don't live closer together.... I totally need more poop since I gave up the bunnies. There is a stable close that will sell poop but I lack a truck. I may need to put some serious thought into this.......And if your going to Mari Gras Bring some poop and you can stay at my house. :D :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Greensage45 said:
...Manure is their hope!

So I gathered my thoughts and made a few phone calls and low-and-behold one of my college professors has a horse farm (18 right now). Today I was able to go visit. She is up there by a few more years than me and she is living alone taking care of her horses by herself. The arena area is nice, the stalls are perfect and each is thick full of river bottom sand! Just the perfect set-up! She does all her own cleaning and has been paying for a dumpster to haul the poop away for years.
I have been telling people who garden for literally Y E A R S about checking stables for free manure. Until I started gardening on my property, I was seriously wondering if I was going to irritate my neighbors with my manure piles. Manure is the "black gold" or the 21st Cnetury!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whew!

This was my second load. I think I pulled my neck getting it out of the truck. Getting it in was easy!

Here is my second load, because I know you want to see it! LOL :gig

6165_compost1.jpg

Also, just peeking around the front of the truck, some pretty marigolds!

6165_marigold.jpg

6165_marigold1.jpg

Tomorrow another day another load! Two stalls down....LOL :coolsun

Ron

oh yeah, and since my cucumbers are all long gone, and I just cut open my last watermelon yesterday, I get to pull all that mounded Straw that I used this spring.

Here is what it turned into! All of this will get moved into my flower beds as mulch!
6165_compost.jpg

I should get about 10 wheelbarrow full !

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would love it if someone would come haul off my excess of fresh horse poop. Although since I cut down to 2 horses and started gardening, maybe that isn't such a good idea! At least this year my aged pile has somewhere to go. Sure wish it would move itself, though. :p

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah,

The bad part about being 'the' gardener of the family is moving the earth! Sometimes it is just a bit fresh is all! LOL

I think the thing about most Horse folk is to find consistency in the poop process! To supply a gardener with just a single yard might not take very long.

With me, I am a bit more than just a single yard, and I am supplying for two yards now. So I told my friend that I can provide consistent manure removal all the way up until Spring. Then I will have to wait until the following Fall.

She is quite a ways out for most folks so I do not blame her for paying a dumpster to get rid of it. I am glad to oblige for now because it is in my favor. Later I will hit my friends up for gas money if they don't speak up first. It is a costly endeavor for me on that part.

Ron :coolsun

Latest posts