horse radish shade no shade?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
okay I just got 4 horseradish plants in half gallon pots at an Amish sale last week. My question is shade, some shade, no shade? Even though I can remember it on my pop's farm, my husband's pop's farm, even at my mom and dad's growing up. The horseradish is no longer at any of these places and the fokes with the knowledge are not anymore around either. I am afraid of killing it so it's still in the pots. Where do I plant it so it does it's best?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In PA it should grow anywhere from light shade to full sun. It's usually grown in an out of the way spot since it is so easy to care for. Remember that the greens are edible and quite tasty. They don't have the kick of the root. It is very attractive to snails and slugs so watch for them.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow

Mine is in a very large pot so it is easy for me to get at the root when I need to. I have seen it grown in long wide plastic drainage pipes that have been sawn in half (length-wise) for easy access. My pot gets sun for half the day.

Here's a link I found full of info:

http://www.horseradishplants.com/cgi-bin/store/grow.html

:rose Hattie :rose
Hattie that's a good trick to keep the roots straight. They can get pretty gnarly in the ground. Ive even seen them grow around a stone till it's completely enclosed in the root.
Makes a racket if you try to grind one of those in a blender :rolleyes:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi hoodat,

It's an old trick that competitive gardeners use to grow very long root vegetables (like parsnips & carrots) here in the UK. It is a strange British custom to enter these in village flower shows to win prizes & is taken VERY SERIOUSLY.........!!! The fact that the said vegetables are virtually inedible is apparently irrelevant..........it's a very male thing! :idunno :hu :gig

Glad to see you are still gardening at 80+; it gives me great hope at aged 70............... :celebrate

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have just found some information on one of our former champions, Medwyn Williams who has recently retired from showing but who used to regularly show & win gold medals at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show every year here in London.

http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/galleries.php?id=13

You can see close ups of the veg by clicking on the photos.

He is also the National Chairman of The National Vegetable Society. Here is a link to some of his interesting articles etc:

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/medwyn-williams-vegetable-grow-show-articles.php

nightshade, I am sorry to have high-jacked your subject a bit, but I thought the information might help grow your horseradish in a way that was easy to harvest ! :D

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Don't put horseradish where you don't want it to run wild. It is hard to get rid of. Roots go real deep.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The slightest bit of root left in the ground will turn into a new plant.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
The slightest bit of root left in the ground will turn into a new plant.
Awww... like the dreaded dandelion I am yet to win a battle against! ;)

Latest posts