Horseproof Vine

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to plant some kind of vine along my front fence. I would love to use roses, but I'm pretty sure they would be a delicacy to my horses, who have access to the fence. Anyone know of a good vine, or even a colorful bush that might work? (Zone 8)

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have this problem too skeeter; only here it's the cows that eat anything that grows even remotely close to the fence. They sure 'nuff leave the weeds growing on the fence though! :rolleyes:

I came back to this post, because reading it again gave me an idea. My SO used to have an electric fence enclosing the very front part of the yard fence. He did this so that the cows couldn't mess up the part of the walkway that you have to walk on to get to the mailbox, back when his mama was alive. I think I'll ask him to enclose just that part of the yard fence again. That way I can have my Joseph's Coat and the cows can just go pound sand!:p

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bougainvillaea - I have two in pots hanging from either end of my swing frame in the backyard. The thorns are certainly a deterrent for animals and birds, alike.

First picture is from September - when all was still green - I was trying to capture a few hummingbirds....

bougainvillaea.jpg

I took this picture today - rainy, cold, miserably wet day - but flowers are still beautiful even though the leaves are getting bare.

bougainvillaea2.jpg

I plan to remove them from the pots in the spring and plant them at the front of the driveway on entry posts that my wonderful DH is going to build for me :D

I also have jasmine - makes beautiful yellow, fragrant flowers. However, I think animals love it - I know the chickens do!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have tried the electric fence idea - some of our cows have left it alone, others just stand in it and don't even feel the shock!!! I know the fence is working, because if I touch it it knocks me on my keister!!!

Lori

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Txchikngardners said:
Bougainvillaea - I have two in pots hanging from either end of my swing frame in the backyard. The thorns are certainly a deterrent for animals and birds, alike.

First picture is from September - when all was still green - I was trying to capture a few hummingbirds....

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee260/TxChiknRanchers/bougainvillaea.jpg

I took this picture today - rainy, cold, miserably wet day - but flowers are still beautiful even though the leaves are getting bare.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee260/TxChiknRanchers/bougainvillaea2.jpg

I plan to remove them from the pots in the spring and plant them at the front of the driveway on entry posts that my wonderful DH is going to build for me :D

I also have jasmine - makes beautiful yellow, fragrant flowers. However, I think animals love it - I know the chickens do!
Thats the one I was talking about

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you meant! Bougainvillaea are beautiful, but I think our winters here kill them. :(

Latest posts