Horseraddish

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Last year I started a Horseraddish root. It grew Great and all of a sudden died back. It started growing again but the leaves were not large and broad but large and fern like with lots of fingers. Anyone know what i may have done wrong? what do the fern type leaves mean?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dogginfox said:
Last year I started a Horseraddish root. It grew Great and all of a sudden died back. It started growing again but the leaves were not large and broad but large and fern like with lots of fingers. Anyone know what i may have done wrong? what do the fern type leaves mean?
Hmmm....just a guess but does horseradish cross pollinate with Queen Annes Lace like carrot does?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dogginfox said:
Mine did the same, I brought it back from Vermont where it made a huge plant in the yard. However here in Tennessee I think it is just too hot. It may be the same for you in Georgia.

Nancy

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For real????

Hmmm....just a guess but does horseradish cross pollinate with Queen Annes Lace like carrot does?

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
candyd said:
For real????

No, they are in two different families. Horseradish is a brassica, same family as broccoli and radish. They won't cross with carrots. Horseradish is a perennial and carrot is a biennial.

Horseradish does have a mix of leaves in maturity. The plant dies back each winter and regrows in spring. I've had many feathery ferny leafed plants that produced just fine. Did you have a look at the roots? That's what it's all about.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
candyd said:
For real????

No, they are in two different families. Horseradish is a brassica, same family as broccoli and radish. They won't cross with carrots. Horseradish is a perennial and carrot is a biennial.

Horseradish does have a mix of leaves in maturity. The plant dies back each winter and regrows in spring. I've had many feathery ferny leafed plants that produced just fine. Did you have a look at the roots? That's what it's all about.
See, I learn something every day. :)
Since I HATE horseradish it's not something I ever really paid much attention too.
Yes Sylvie, carrots will cross with Queen Annes Lace and it makes them yucky!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
setter4 said:
Sylvie said:
candyd said:
For real????

See, I learn something every day. :)
Since I HATE horseradish it's not something I ever really paid much attention too.
Yes Sylvie, carrots will cross with Queen Annes Lace and it makes them yucky!
I meant that carrots and Queen Anne's Lace will not cross with Horseradish, sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sylvie, are you farther north than Tennessee? I just don't think horseradish does well here.

Mine gets beautiful leaves in the spring and then dies. I have dug the roots and they are never nothing more than pencil sized. I have them planted in 2 tractor trailer tires that are stacked one on top of the other so the roots should have a easy time and it is full of good dirt.

Any suggestions as to how I can get mine to do better? I would love to be able to produce my own as DH and I love the stuff, well I do and he sometimes. LOL

Nancy

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I dug up the roots after the 3rd frost of the year and the one big root I had planted turned into 3-5 small pencil sized roots. Not sure why this happend but Im hoping one of them will be large enough to harvest this year

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
carrots will cross with Queen Annes Lace and it makes them yucky!

Well I learned something today. I never have ever heard this. I have had a garden for years too. I now will be much more observant around the garden area.

Thanks! :thumbsup

Latest posts