Horseradish

HabaneroHeaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I decided to try to grow some horseradish this year, and so far it seems to have done pretty well. I am just wondering when I should harvest it. Can someone help me out?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If the top dies back in your climate that's the time to harvest it. I learned a good trick from English gardeners. Cut a length of 4 inch sewer pipe lengthwise. (They can do that in Home Depot but they'll look at you like you're nuts when you ask them to). Wire it back together with tie or baling wire then fill the pipe with a good potting soil and stand it on end where it won't get knocked over. Plant a small horseradish root in it. When you are ready to harvest, remove the wire bands and pull the two halves apart. VOILA! A nice long straight root.

HabaneroHeaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. And yes, I do need to contain it somehow, it's getting pretty large. Are there any tips or tricks to possibly make it hotter?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you wait until after frost, it will be pretty darn hot. I can see by your name, that you like it hot! Last year when we were grinding ours up- we opened the container and were momentarily blinded! You literally couldn't open your eyes it was so strong! After it sits in the fridge for awhile, it loses its strength.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi HabaneroHeaven and thanks for starting this thread. We have had Horseradish a few time in past years and tried processing it but we were never very successful because, I think, we were not serious about it. This year the old Horseradish patch is looking pretty good so I think I'll try again.

Can you guys offer instructions on how to process it and what ingredients you use to make it table ready? I see on our store-bought jar that it is ground horseradish, vinegar, salt, and that mysterious ingredient called OTHER FLAVORINGS.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We grind it up in the food processor and add just enough vinegar to cover it. It is not creamy, like the chemical laden stuff- but man, it is delish! After a few months in the fridge, it does begin to lose its heat. What a great way to clear your sinus passages!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year I'm harvesting mine, since I missed my opportunity last year, and the soil froze before I got to it. Hoody I like your method of growing in a pipe. I'm going to try one like that next year.

Latest posts