Hosta Cuttings?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to get some hosta cuttings. I'm thinking they would be great to grow in pots on my front porch since its so shaded. I've got new plans for my front porch that have to do with a more lush outdoor living feel. Add in my new water fountain that is going out there... and WALLA! A porch jungle...

I just thought hostas would be good. And they do grow well from cuttings don't they?

I've got tons of seed and stuff for trade, just let me know what you are looking for. I have veggies and flowers as well. I just collected some fresh Red Gerber Daisy Seeds this week as well.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think they start from cuttings exactly. They are very easy to propagate, by dividing. You can just dig one up and basically cut the roots into sections and replant. Very forgiving. I found one in a garbage pile once, took it home and planted it- no problems! I don't have any hostas right now, or I would love to share. They will grow fine in containers. Your porch will look great!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awesome... then I gotta figure that out somehow! LOL

My husband just commented the front porch needed more green. Funny how anyone tells me I need more green.

I also went out in the woods and potted up and some ferns, and split some ferns to replant out there. Those should do well on the porch. I will move them out there in the spring. For now they are in the laundry room on one of the my 5 carts/racks I've been filling.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Like Lesa said, hostas grow easily from divisions. I have had good luck finding nice divisions on Ebay for very reasonable prices.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem...The only way I can grow hostas is in pots. They do very well. I just leave mine in them all year long. But then, I'm in a mild winter area. I have about 6 in pots. I will check them to see if I can divide some. I used to know the names but I don't anymore.

If I forget, remind me by Friday.

Mary

Latest posts