Hot banana peppers

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have some of these and they ain't hot. At the plant store they had sweet and hot. Do you have to wait to a they turn a diifernet color for them to be hot?

Thanks

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never grown hot banana peppers, but none of my other peppers which are hot require complete ripening to be hot tasting. Different degrees of heat, yes, but it sounds to me like yours are not the hot variety.

The upside is, they will still be great in food! And if you make salsa, for example, you can mix them with hot peppers. The more peppers the merrier! Also nice with taco meat! (I'm having tacos for dinner, and used more than one kind of pepper when I cooked the meat.)

I hope that you will still enjoy them! :)

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We ain't going to throw them away, they are still good. I found out that if you leave them outside in the sun for a few days they are better.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
They should be hot from the get go...but then, we all have a different idea of what is hot, don't we? :D

Sounds like you have sweet banana peppers and Tutter is right, you can mix them with your hot peppers to extend your recipes and enhance the flavor. :)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with them. I grow hot wax and hot bananas every year and they are good to go straight from the plant. We like the sweet ones dill pickled whole or cut in rings a fried.

Latest posts