Hot Pepper Sauce

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have more jalapenos, cayenne and habenero than I can eat fresh. I searched the internet but could not find recipe for a hot sauce like Tabasco?
Thank you in advance!:)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
U R tough!!!!! How do you eat Habenaros fresh?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ooooh... here's my recipe! I love things HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Pretty much what I do.

Without looking I believe its something like finely chopped hot peppers, including seeds, as much as you can get. (Puree if you can!) Add 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt per cup of chopped pepper. Put in a deep bowl (not clear) maybe a crock pot. Then cover your mixture with vinegar until it comes up OVER the peppers. Cover with a cloth towel and put aside to ferment for 4-6 weeks.

Then strain through a mesh colander or Cheese cloth and bottle. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you could always make some hot pepper jelly with them! my dh loves to make this to have on crackers with some cream cheese! he uses a recipe found online but i am sure it has the peppers, sugar, pectin, and apple cider vinegar. using the ACV gives it a sweetness while still keeping it hot!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pepper Jelly IS delicious. love it with cream cheese. YUMMM!!!! You might want to use some for that :D

As for a tabasco type product, it would be very hard to duplicate...the crushed peppers are aged in white oak barrels for 3 years!

You can make some very tasty fermented pepper sauces that come close. My favorite is fermented Sriracha Sauce. I made some last year with haberneros :D

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blo...cha-chile-sauce-recipe-tuong-ot-sriracha.html

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
U R tough!!!!! How do you eat Habenaros fresh?
I don't actually eat the habeneros fresh. This is the first time growing them and wouldn't you know it of all the peepers we grew this year they are doing the best. THe goal this year was to grow as many hot chilies as possible for the chickens to nibble on during winter months. Last year one of my customers gave me about 7' of ristras and it made the chickens yolks a deep reddish orange color.

However the large chilies have only produced enough for one large batch of chili that will be entered into the chili cook off this weekend at hometown days. I like the idea of pepper jelly, will give it a try. Maybe I can find some wonderful jellies to work with on the western slope this week. Thank you all for your input. :)

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7434_garden_9-4-2011_005.jpg

Made two batches of sauce yesterday. On the left is what I call cayennapeno hot sauce. It's two parts cayenne and one part jalapeno. I roasted the peppers on a charcoal grill and peeled them as much as possible (the more red they were the harder they were to peel). The peepers were then pureed along with one large peeled tomatoe. To season I used salt and a little sugar and some vinegar. That simmered for about 30 minutes before canning.

On the right is green chili and tomatillo sauce. Same as above for prep except it took a little more sugar as the tomatillos were on the sour side. Much of the insane fire is lessened by roasting the peppers and taking out most of the seeds. Can't wait until there are enough ripe habeneros to start experimenting!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ooooh... here's my recipe! I love things HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Pretty much what I do.

Without looking I believe its something like finely chopped hot peppers, including seeds, as much as you can get. (Puree if you can!) Add 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt per cup of chopped pepper. Put in a deep bowl (not clear) maybe a crock pot. Then cover your mixture with vinegar until it comes up OVER the peppers. Cover with a cloth towel and put aside to ferment for 4-6 weeks.

Then strain through a mesh colander or Cheese cloth and bottle. :)
I wish you were close enough so I could give you some of my jalapenos. I never saw them as hot as they are this year. Maybe it's all that good rabbit manure.