Hot pepppers

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted 4 different kinds of peppers this year, all hot. In the past, I have always had a terrible time knowing when the peppers are ready to pick. I had one I picked a few weeks ago and hubby said it wasn't ripe, tasted just like a green pepper instead of hot. Anyone have a way of telling if they are done growing or not? Some years I have let them grow till they started getting dark spots (black) and those were bitter. Please help.:D

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
First off, what kind of peppers are they? That is probably the biggest thing to know as far as when they will be ready. Also the larger (usually) the physical pepper the more ripe it will be. Also some peppers will start to change colors as or when they ripen. Example being jalepanos will turn red when they are in the completely ripe stage (though I use most of mine when they turn dark green).

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I have never seen a Jalapeno turn red ever. :p
But, one plant (I just went out and checked) one plant is a Serrano, the other is Jalapeno, and the other is a Hybrid- Hot pepper (what the tag says) so not sure on that one. :D
The other I think may be some kind of bell, though it didnt say Bell, it said Purple- Sweet so guessing thats like a Bell?

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anyone have some help for me on picking these suckers? :D

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The jalepanos you are looking for a dark green (darker than the leaves around it). If you leave it there it will turn red but you might regret it depending on how hot you are looking for.

I can't help with the hybrid, not really sure what is going on there.

The serrano is a type of chili. You can do it several ways. Get it when it is green for a little more mild pepper (but still pretty warm) or you can wait until it turns red for more warmth.

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks- I am not for sure why that I have never had a Jalapeno turn red ever, it must take a really long time! Like I said, I have had them start to turn black, not sure what that means, but not like they were going bad or anything. I will look for them to turn red then, Serranos too I guess. We want them super hot, as I like to use only one to a big pot of chili, we like our chili hot. :D

Latest posts