Hot weather melons?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on melons that do well in a hot, humid climate (besides the usual watermelons & cantelope). I read the thread about the Asian melons from Baker Creek (yes, I'm getting sucked in by the pretty pictures ;) ); Rich Sweetness & Sakata's Sweet were suggested, I think.

VF has suggested Sprite but I've never seen seeds for them. WZ likes Collective Farm Women (tho I don't know if it will do well in really hot conditions).

The number of different types in the catalog just boggles the mind; I need ya'll to help me narrow things down!

I'd like something small, very sweet, juicy, that would do okay in a raised bed with a trellis. :D

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you ever get any suggestions?

I had a friend who sent me some Canadian watermelon seeds I'm eager to try growing. She thought they might do well here in Utah. This is not good melon growing country. She thought the fact she has a short growing season up north might translate into melons ripening quicker for me if I planted Canadian seeds. It is hot here in the desert, and my watermelons never mature. Cantaloupes do fine, though. I'd like to try some hot weather melons, too, and see which do better.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a lot of success w/ the charentas (sp) french melon. Small enough to trellis, very sweet, very fragrent, quite prolific. We had a record breaking hot, dry summer last year and w/ some supplemental watering they went until frost.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kaussandra, that charenta melon sounds yummy! Is it a cantaloupe type or something different? Do you remember where you got the seeds?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, cantaloupe or musk melon I don't know the diff. I got them from one of the big stores (wally world, lowes) don't really remember. But I have seen them in almost every seed catalog

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted Tigger melons this year. I can't wait to try them! I also planted honey rock cantaloup and Sugarbaby watermelons. (Yes, we have a big gardening area.)

We have really sandy soil, so melons should grow well here. This is our first year of having a garden at this house and in this climate, so we are anxious to see what does well.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
I planted Tigger melons this year. I can't wait to try them! I also planted honey rock cantaloup and Sugarbaby watermelons. (Yes, we have a big gardening area.)

We have really sandy soil, so melons should grow well here. This is our first year of having a garden at this house and in this climate, so we are anxious to see what does well.
I would be very interested in the taste of the tigger melon, I considered them this year, but everything I read said the taste was bland or disappointing. I also planted sugar baby this year it is my first time w/ watermelon at all.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Great. I'll look for them next time I venture out into the real world.
PM me your addy and I can send you some, I have plenty of seeds I saved from my plants last year, it was the only melon I grew so I know it hasn't been crossed.

Latest posts