houseplants have tiny flies

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I brought my plants home from my previous job and have introduced lots of tiny flies to my house now. Is there a way to kill the little flies without harming the plants? They seem to be on the soil and not the plants.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do these flies look like? Usually the best way to control an infestation is to wipe out the next generation before they hatch. One possibility would be fungus gnats as they tend to stay on the soil surface.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
What do these flies look like? Usually the best way to control an infestation is to wipe out the next generation before they hatch. One possibility would be fungus gnats as they tend to stay on the soil surface.
I had these, and they were harmless to my plants (gotta watch out for those white flies though.)

I took my plants outside, let them sit a few days and then transplanted into fresh soil in new pots and got rid of the old soil. I let them sit for the rest of the week and moved them back in. I didn't have any more little gnats bothering me from then on out!

Good luck!

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yeah, they are just little black gnat like things. I thought about taking the plants out and washing all the dirt off of the roots and putting them into new soil. I guess I probably do not need to go that far, but changing the soil and washing off the top layer of soil that was on top.

Latest posts