Houseplants That Do Well in Low Light & Cool Temperatures

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DW enjoys houseplants. Green leaves ... she doesn't seem to care about flowering and, if they might flower but do not, it matters not a whit to her. And, with low light conditions, flowering may not occur.

House plants have so many common names, Project Manager. One should appreciate knowing that each and every plant you have listed - is known to Wikipedia :). I just verified that! You have given me a new common name for one that has been in the living room for years and years - the ZZ plant :D. Good Grief, I'd never begin to know or pronounce it's scientific name!

I will add one more to your list: A culinary useful plant in low light conditions is Broad Leaf Thyme. Started from cuttings that can develop roots in a jar of water in our kitchen window, be moved to a pot of soil midsummer, kept outdoors in a completely shaded location, and brought indoors for the cold months -- it has been my window companion for years.

:) Steve
I'll be looking out for this soon ;)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was walking my dog back in September, when I found a poorly looking spider plant thrown away on a pavement

Every shop bought spider plant I have ever bought has just died on me. So I swore I would never buy another one ever again.

But I felt sad seeing this plant I found in such a state and it had a little bit of green on two leaves, plus a tiny bit of green stretching over the pot , so i thought must be a baby so I rescued it immediately

All I did was mix compost and my garden clay and re-potted it. A few weeks later gave it a drink of coffee and a little water.

So here she is

Meet Sally and her baby
They live happily in my bathroom

1000001706.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts