How are those Tomatoes?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall,

The color of the plants is due to two factors: the camera has built in infra red lighting, which I can not turn off, and, the LED red/blue supplemental lighting is on most of the day. I am using Peter's Professional hydroponic nutrients, supplemented with greenhouse grade calcium nitrate, with some organic nutrients from Nectar for the Gods, which contain bonemeal, kelp and other organics.

Jack B

Edit: Marshall, I turned off the large LED and took a photo with a strobe so you can see the color of the plants more naturally. There is still some IR bouncing around though.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, that beautiful plate of tomatoes is making me hungry! :drool

Steve, I don't usually plant all the kinds that I have, but decided I needed to grow out fresh new seed this year and so I'll have plenty to share for a seed library in my county.

I had some very vigorous runners in my compost pile and I almost wish I had saved a few of them. After the quick growth I saw on those volunteers this spring, I am very tempted to ditch the plastic flats and try starting some tomato seedlings under plastic row covers next year. When the heat comes on, they quickly catch up and pass the ones I had started inside. The weather is so unpredictable anymore, I'm not sure what zone I'm really in. :p

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got a lot of volunteers that have come up. don't really know who they are. I treat them like welcome guests. it will be interesting to see if they bear. the ones I planted are way ahead of the volunteers. a lot bigger and lots of tomatoes on them.

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just transplanted mine a few weeks ago. I transplanted mine a few weeks ago. I don't know if they're Early Girls, or Beefsteaks (they were given to me), but they are doing great! One already tried to fruit the first week I had them in, i had to nip that in the bud right away.

We moved near town a year and a half ago, so I dont have the garden I used to (no space), so I'm growing my tomatoes in an above ground box, in 3 cubic ft of soil. They are already about 14" tall, so they definitely rooted well! Looking forward to some fruit real soon :D.They seem to be starting early this year.