How can I know if the seeds are GM?

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Perhaps this isn't a smart question, I have lots to learn still on the topic but too much to learn at once... a shortcut would be great in this instance.

Before I buy the next seasons seeds... how can I be certain they are not genetically modified seeds? Are there guidelines?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be clearly marked if it is GMO, plus it will be real expensive.

Now you may have to do some research to see if it's a hybrid, open line or heirloom. Altho hybrid seed is usually clearly marked.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best to order from an organic seed producer, if you can...I love High Mowing Seeds in Vermont. It seems like the GMO are mostly being sold to big Ag. I prefer not to buy seeds from anyone with a connection to Monsanto. Good luck!

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Most seed companies that sell non GMO seeds will have a 'safe seed pledge' or some similar notice in the catalog. If you're buying on the web, there should be a declaration somewhere on the site about the company's stance on GMO's. If you can't find it, best to buy somewhere else.

Bountiful Gardens and Seed Savers Exchange are two good ones....

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't believe any GMO varieties are available in the "packet of seeds for your garden" market.

The only possibly debatable thing is that, as someone pointed out on another recent thread on this subject, the seed sources for corn -- corn specifically, and really nothing else you're likely to be buying -- could potentially be slightly contaminated by wind-drift of pollen from GM corn. To me this is not a big concern - it is not like buying GMO seeds -- but if it is a concern to you you'd want to ask questions about whether corn seed being sold has been tested or anything like that.

But for other seeds, if you are buying normal retail garden seeds, it is not an issue.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That does not mean that some of those seed packets are not owned by monsanto. I was excited to see organic burpee seeds at Walmart. Came home did some research- Burpee claims they are not owned by Monsanto, but the owner of burpee is an employee of Monsanto. Huh?? No thanks, I'll stick to smaller companies. JMO

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, that is your own personal choice. My feeling is, I am gardening to grow the healthiest possible food for my family- why not start with the best, safest seed?? That being said, organic seed does cost more. If I couldn't afford organic seeds, I would certainly plant whatever I could afford. Anything from your own garden is going to be so far superior to grocery store produce. 35 days till spring!!!!