How can I make clamps from pvc pipe?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I made a hoop tunnel for my peppers out of 10' pvc and covered it with plastic, and used 4 "A" clamps or whatever they're called to keep the plastic connected to the frame on the 4 bottom corners. So far so good, but today it's a bit windy, and when I opened the ends for ventilation it's blowing the tar out of it and the clamps ( since there are only four of them ) are not adequate. One big problem is that the plastic is 10' wide and the pipe is 10' long, so there's very little extra lapping on the ground to weigh down the edges.

I could:
A. Buy more clamps (don't want to keep spending money on this years garden).

B. Take it apart and cut the pipe down a foot so I can get some weight on the edges. ( whine....)

C. Make some clamps out of the pvc I already have. !! ( like this one...)

But what's a good way to do this?
I already made one and it works great, but it was... time consuming and I'm sure the dumbest way possible to do it, so I wont embarrass myself by saying how I did it.

Has anyone done this? Could you share your secret?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could stitch another 5' on your plastic film . . . just kidding ;).

I've seen one guy cut pvc pipe lengthwise, drill a hole in both the resultant "clamp" and into the hoop. Then he used a screw to hold the clamp.

I drive stakes in the ground at the 4 corners and run baling twine across the top of the tunnel. But, 20' wide plastic film is used over 15' hoops.

Yes, wind in the teens with gusts over 20mph. It is supposed to fall away a little this afternoon.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that's what I did, cut down the length of the pipe, and then cut a clamp size section out of it. Could be the tools I chose... vise,(good)
little bowsaw ( not so good ). I may just wait until Mr. Power Tool comes home tonight, or cajole Mr. Power Tool Jr. to do it for me :) .

You were kidding, but stitching an extra length on to it isn't all that far fetched for me :p. But now it's dirty...

By the way, it doesn't seem at all like screwing the clamp on to the pipe is necessary, it's so tight I don't see how tearing the plastic can be avoided when I remove it.

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I used PVC one size larger than the PVC I used for the "tunnels" and cut short pieces about an inch or two. Then cut a section lengthwise out of about a little less than half. This creates a C and clamps right over the plastic and PVC.

It helps if you sand all parts smooth so as not to damage the plastic as much.

shadetech = "Shadetree Technologies"
if they don't make it, invent something that works!!

I cut my sides down to 4 foot and glued an elbow to make an L. Makes a beautiful arch and a 10 foot plastic gives you a foot on each side. Can't walk through it, but it keeps the plants happy. Mine spans a 3 1/2 foot raised bed very nicely.

Sorry about the earlier part of this post, DSL goes down here frequently and just hit submit after being out beating on bamboo roots, seeing DSL back up. Then I see the other 2 posts :(

henry

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Shade', I used the same size pipe that I made the hoopie out of, maybe larger wouldn't be so TIGHT ;) ! So you cut a section out of the pipe, not just cut a line down the length?

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I did. I used 3/4 PVC for the frame and had some 1 inch from an earlier pond project I used for the clamps. Take a piece out of the pipe so it is a little more than half left and it works great. Experiment with how much to find what works best. A hacksaw works very well for this, especially with your vice. A little sandpaper on the clamps will help save the plastic for longer use. Poor mans coldframe, voile :)

henry

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband just got home and I asked him if he would make me some clamps for the hoopie, "Sure" he says, and describes how he'll do it, which is just what you guys said. Must be a guy thing, it just comes natural to know how to fix/make/dismantle etc... stuff! I have to think, and even then it's not the best solution... :/ .

Latest posts