How Cold Before You Put On Heat ?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My temp is like Thistle and I am so spoiled. DH kept the fire going always at night or early morning, so now just me and DS here. He is allergic to a lot of the wood. DB and DS have been working on the roof and DS started getting allergies from sawing 2 x 4's. We have found out pine does not bother him as much. We have wood left from last year, but the pastor of our church thinks we might freeze, so ever since DH got sick he has been bringing us wood. This year he brought like 5 cords. He brings his splitter and him and DS get it done. Another man from church showed up and helped for awhile. Today is DS's first day of work. Just got his first 8 hour a day job. I got up and got the fire going and a lot of frost on the car. The picture is of the new wood. The garage has wood, the woodshed has wood. Pastor loved DH.
IMG_1923.JPG
cropped.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
after seeing @Gardening with Rabbits photos of wood reminds me why i hate wood stoves.... you're a slave to it .. cutting down the trees, hauling back home, splitting it, stacking it, starting it, feeding it, hauling in more wood, cleaning out the ash weekly,cleaning the chimney,.. it's an evil cycle....grrrrr

but for some reason i enjoyed it a lifetime ago, back then was a firewood connoisseur when living in tahoe pines.
every fall cut,split,stack and cover in plastic.
8-9 cords of fir
1-2 cords of lodgepole
1 cord of oak
1/4 cord of kindling

now... let that thermostat sit on 70*

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
but for some reason i enjoyed it a lifetime ago, back then was a firewood connoisseur when living in tahoe pines.
8-9 cords of fir
1-2 cords of lodgepole
1 cord of oak
1/4 cord of kindling

Twelve cords of wood? Every year? That's impressive...no wonder you felt like a slave to it!

We go through 1.5 to 2 cords a year, last year we burned a lot of locust, which doesn't smell very good, but it sure has the BTUs.
This year we have a mix of birch, tamarack and red fir, mostly birch and it's a nice fragrant wood with good heat output and not much creosote. When we burn the softer woods we have to keep the firebox fueled a lot more often, and they dirty the glass window in the stove door. But there is nothing that comes close to wood heat. I love it and it's worth every bit of effort it costs us.

@Gardening with Rabbits , that's a nice bunch of wood your pastor has split for you. How wonderful that you have friends like that. :hugs
Good for your son on his first all day job. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Twelve cords of wood? Every year? That's impressive...no wonder you felt like a slave to it!

We go through 1.5 to 2 cords a year, last year we burned a lot of locust, which doesn't smell very good, but it sure has the BTUs.
This year we have a mix of birch, tamarack and red fir, mostly birch and it's a nice fragrant wood with good heat output and not much creosote. When we burn the softer woods we have to keep the firebox fueled a lot more often, and they dirty the glass window in the stove door. But there is nothing that comes close to wood heat. I love it and it's worth every bit of effort it costs us.

@Gardening with Rabbits , that's a nice bunch of wood your pastor has split for you. How wonderful that you have friends like that. :hugs
Good for your son on his first all day job. :)

Yes it is a lot of wood and he burns only wood at his house too, and he gets wood for other people. He is almost 70 years old. He gets help off and on, but most of the work he does. I think we use 4 cords a year, but not sure. The only heat we use is a wall heater in the bathroom and one in the office. We should put a woodstove in the office. Our electric bill is still too high even with wood. I turned off 1 freezer and eventually will have the other one empty and just use a small chest freezer and the side by side on the refrigerator. It will be interesting to see how the bill will go down with just 2 of us here. We do not run the washer and dryer as much. The water bill went way down. Washing dishes is a lot faster now. I fried chicken last night for DS and me and was shocked how much left and going to have that for lunch, but was enough for supper again if we wanted. I have been cooking for DB for the last couple of weeks because of him being over working on the roof, so rarely since DH has been gone have I only cooked for 2 and then DD showed up when I did and I did not have enough for her and her husband.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
after seeing @Gardening with Rabbits photos of wood reminds me why i hate wood stoves.... you're a slave to it .. cutting down the trees, hauling back home, splitting it, stacking it, starting it, feeding it, hauling in more wood, cleaning out the ash weekly,cleaning the chimney,.. it's an evil cycle....grrrrr

8-9 cords of fir
1-2 cords of lodgepole
1 cord of oak
1/4 cord of kindling

now... let that thermostat sit on 70*
That's a ton of wood for someone living in NC

Latest posts