HOw do I get rid of slugs?

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay something is eating holes in my green bean and they are only about 9 in high! I have the food grade DE but not exactly sure how to use it as a pesticide?

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I went down to our garden yesterday, a squirrel was walking down the rows eating the leaves.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It would be good to properly identify what the culprit is before spraying or dusting with anything, especially DE.

It may Flea beetles or another bug as such. How much damage are they doing? You should try and find out what is causing the problem. Just go out there and see if you notice any bugs or you can put out sticky traps that may catch a bug or 2.

My first guess is probably Flea beetles though.

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
It would be good to properly identify what the culprit is before spraying or dusting with anything, especially DE.

It may Flea beetles or another bug as such. How much damage are they doing? You should try and find out what is causing the problem. Just go out there and see if you notice any bugs or you can put out sticky traps that may catch a bug or 2.

My first guess is probably Flea beetles though.
I have looked and don't see any bugs but how do I treat flea beetle?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the holes are tiny (or at least, most of them are - some may coalesce into bigger holes) it's prolly fleabeetles. There is another thread on them here. Reader's digest version: probably they are just uglifying the plants not genuinely hurting your harvest, which is good b/c there is not a whole lot you can do. They will just hop back. Floating row covers can help some, but I wouldn't generally bother.

If the holes are larger, like pencil eraser size, it is probably something else; a beetle, a caterpillar, slugs, earwigs, whatnot. You'd want to try to find the culprit before going after it.

Good luck,

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For slugs: flat pans, at ground level, at the edge of the garden beds, with flat beer. Have it out at night, pick it up in the mornings. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You also might consider reducing mulch, raking it back away from plants, possibly removing it altogether if that seems feasible (in terms of soil temp. and water requirements), and reducing Objects On The Ground to a bare minimum. Obviously you may need some boards among plantings to walk on, but don't have more than necessary, and flip them every day or two and pick off the slugs.

Good luck,

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also, slugs really don't like coarse surfaces and won't cross and eggshell barrier. Just take some eggshells, coarsely break them up and put a barrier around the plants you're wanting to protect. It works pretty good but a lot of eggshells are need if you have a big problem. ;)

Seaweed works well too. I think it's because of the salt content. I grew up near the ocean so we had tons of it available. As does coarse sand, coffee grounds and saw dust.

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well I have seen grasshoppers ladybugs and slugs today in my garden so I think it's almost pointless...so many bugs so little plants!