How do I make a pumpkin grow larger?

catlikethief

Sprout
Reaction score
Assuming it is possible, I'd like to make my Cinderella pumpkins larger in size. I have two plants with about three vines each and one pumpkin on each vine. Right now the oldest of the pumpkins is starting to turn a yellowish orange but is still small, maybe soccer ball size and shape.

I just figured like most things fruit and vegetable once they start to turn color they stop growing, is this true with pumpkins as well?

I planted them in very rich bumper crop. The mounds I planted them into are now pretty flat from watering and the chickens. Should I side dress with more?

Thanks!

-Linda

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They will probably grow a little as they start to turn but don't expect any big jumps.

IME, I think some of the biggest factors for growing bigger pumpkins is lots of water and warm growing conditions. Like most plants, the pumpkins will set fruit and start to grow and keep growing until they reach a size that can either no longer be sustained or they are forced to mature by stress factors.

Keep them well watered. Also mulch well to retain moisture and warmth in the soil. Be careful not to allow the mulch to touch the base of the plant since this can cause a few problems as well as lead to squash vine borers.

A milk solution of 1 part milk to 5 parts water can help and help prevent powdery mildew.

Also, make sure you're using a fertilizer that's higher in Phosphorus and lower in nitrogen since this will help with larger fruit growth and less vine growth. Some persons have recommended that pinching off the tips of the vines will help, but, I've never really experienced a significant difference. It may work for you though!

Oh and did I mention that they need a lot of water?

Good luck!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i mentioned it before but my grandfather used to inject them with milk. i dont know how he did it but someone suggested watering with a milk mixture, this of course all works when they are still growing.

catlikethief

Sprout
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
i mentioned it before but my grandfather used to inject them with milk. i dont know how he did it but someone suggested watering with a milk mixture, this of course all works when they are still growing.
Wow, that sounds really interesting. I'll have to play around with google to find out more, Thanks!

catlikethief

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm starting to think my watering habit is part of the problem. I had no idea that they needed so much water.

Thank you guys! :)