How do ya siphon gas?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If it's a regular occurrence you could always buy a small electric fuel pump and enough hose to meet your requirements. It's been a long time since I needed one, but I used to buy them for under $20. Add a couple of pieces of wire and clamps to hook onto your battery and your good.

For even cheaper options click here.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat! That is real smart! I'd sure try it except my 81 ford has that smaller opening and flap at the inlet to the tank. The kind designed to only let the unleaded gas nozzles in, so the hose I have, even it is a tight squeeze.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clear tube really helps, Marshall.

If the car tank is full, you may not have trouble reaching the gas with the end of the tube. Make sure you have it submerged by blowing in, before sucking out.

If you already have some gas in your can, fill the tube out of the can. Stop your end with your thumb so it stays full. Pull it out of the can and push it into the car's tank. Lower your end and it should siphon.

You can use a bucket or barrel to water your yard the same way. If a hose starts off full of water and one end is in the barrel with the other downhill - it siphons and the water flows where you want it.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You can use a bucket or barrel to water your yard the same way. If a hose starts off full of water and one end is in the barrel with the other downhill - it siphons and the water flows where you want it.

Steve
This won't help you any Marshall but this is how I empty my rain barrels when I need to, like before a freeze. Tie a rock to the end of tubing, slowly lower that tubing into the rain barrel so it is always vertical, when it is full put my thumb over the end to keep the water in and the air out. Lower that end until it is lower than the water in the barrel and take your thumb away. Air pressure does the rest.

Siphoning gas is on my to-do list. I put 5 gallons of gas in my generator to prepare for that predicted power outage that never happened when that bad storm went north of us. I put preservative in it, but I want to get that expensive gas out and use it. I havent figured out how to get that heavy generator up higher than my gas can yet. It will probably involve saw horses and a ramp made out or2x10s. For air pressure to work you have to have an elevation difference.

Latest posts