How do you eat that?

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Red, I also find the commercially prepared Harvard beets a tad too sweet. That's why I make my own "brine"...so I can adjust the sweet/sour component to taste. To "harvard" them, I just warm the juice up and add enough cornstarch to thicken. We don't often have them that way though...we like 'em cold too well, LOL.

I think we need to constantly try things...our tastes change so much over the years that something you hated as a child might well be something you really like now...and vice versa. As a kid I couldn't stand peas and love them now. As a kid, I would only eat Velveeta cheese...now I only use it for mac and cheese; can't eat it just "as is". Plus, our folks cooked differently too. I know mine always cooked things almost to mush. Forgive me, Grandma, but I didn't like broccoli at all the way you made it, but now...lightly steamed...it's delicious! ;)

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
If we could actually do it, we'd grow olives! My DD can eat 1/2 a can of black olives as a 'snack' after school. She just turned 6 last week... I've created a monster!!! :lol:
As an experiment, I water cured 20 lbs of fresh green olives I ordered from a grove California. After about 5 weeks in water, I put them in a brine with garlic and spices. No canning or processing required - they keep in the refrigerator up to a year. The olives are simply awesome and this fall I'm going to try water curing black olives too. We love good olives and can't afford the expensive olive bar offerings. Water curing is so easy and in my mind better than a lye cured olive any day. A pint of home cured olives is a great gift to the olive lovers in your life. Wish I could grow them too, but I'm pretty happy to be able to cure them in bulk. 20 lbs sounds like a lot but they disappear fast.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To me, beets are just plain nasty. DW loves them, so I grow and pickle them for her. Cane...I love turnips! I have found so many great ways to prepare them...beside just peel and eat!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adding Quinoa to the list of new things!

I found some at the store - near the rice - and fixed it sort of like a tuna casserole. I cooked the quinoa (sp?) and added spinach and peas and a little onion. Then added some tuna and a little cream of celery soup. OMG it was wonderful.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reviving a 'dead' thread.

Still trying to add more veggies to my daily diet - and still trying to like some things I've never been able to eat ( see : http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36599).

Brussle sprouts or pita & hommus have become my new 'late night snack'. LOVE THEM!. I've become addicted to black olives. My Monday night group has asked that I please STOP putting them in everything :gig Chopped, frozen spinach goes in just about everything - need the iron boost anyway. The folks at work are always asking what I've got for lunch. Could be stuffed squash, might be freezer soup. They get a kick out of my 2lb salads (little bit of spinach smothered under tomatoes, olives, beans, steamed rice, raisins, and who knows what else.

I had the oddest thing happen this morning. I'm giving up the 'juicing' thing for a while.. it was NOT going very well. I was running late this morning and didn't get anything for breakfast. A while after getting to work I was starving and started haunting the fridge. Do yall ever do that? Keep checking back to see if anything new has appeard? Anyway there were the veggies that aren't going to get juiced and a little bit of hommus from lunch a couple of days ago. Decided to try raw carrots with hommus. I've NEVER been able to eat carrots. Something about how they seem to grow - no matter how much you chew, they just seem to get bigger and bigger :sick I dumped a few in a cup and sat down at the computer. Next thing I knew, I was out of carrots. :hu Where'd they go?? I still had some hommus left so went back for more 'dippin sticks'. Before I finished the fuel inventory I was out again and had to go back for more.
Now this might make you say '..... um... so what!?' But for someone like me who has been wanting to add veggies and has NEVER been able to get past more than 1 or 2 carrot sticks - to realize that I've eaten 1/2 a pound - AND LIKED IT - is big news. :celebrate

Loosing the pita and stocking up on carrots. :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:lol: I will take 3 or 4 carrots and cut them up, get some ranch dressing and go to town!!!! I love celery and peanut butter also! I have found that I can eat broccoli cauliflower with some salt and butter, steamed of course :D I think that's why Monty planted so much broccoli this year and attempted to grow cauliflower so we could blanch it and freeze it together. But the cauliflower didn't even make one head. :(

Latest posts