how do you grow peanuts?

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What conditions do you need for growing peanuts?
I live in the UK and we have no frosts from about April to November. Would I be able to grow them here?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could certainly try. Your season is long enough, it probably just depends on the soil (they do not like clay) and more crucially on whether you get hot enough for long enough.

I remember Mom making me try growing them in my little 'compulsory garden patch' <g> when I was a kid (outside Philadelphia)... as I recall we got something like three peanuts from half a dozen plants, BUT this was on pretty unregenerate clay soil and I would suspect that a little kid would have either weeded insufficiently or too vigorously for the peanuts' comfort.

Plant them in sandy-ish soil, watered regularly, in the warmest sunniest place you have and I should think you'd get at least something out of them.

Good luck,

Pat

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
as I recall we got something like three peanuts from half a dozen plants
Haha, I know how that one is. Are peanut seeds you can plant just like the ones you buy in the bags with the shells? Like peas, do you just pop them out and plant one at a time? This sounds interesting. I would think they would like long warm growing seasons, but that knowledge is from that really old computer game called sim farm. LOL

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, only of course it makes a lot more sense to be planting raw peanuts than roasted ones ;)

(Do you suppose if you grow 'em near the seaside, they come out pre-salted? lol)

Pat

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thanks Pat and Silkie. Perhaps I will try them in the greenhouse. Our summer temperatures tend to be around 70-75 F daytime mostly, but we do sometimes get really hot days of up to 100F. We cannot grow melons outdoors, so if they like those kinds of conditions it would not work. I don't think that I will try roast peanuts as the tinned peas did not come up!

RubberChickenLubber

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We are planning on planting peanuts this year. We have never planted before, but a neighbor told my hubby to plant the raw peanuts shell and all. So we'll see what we end up with. :fl

Latest posts